Red Fabric Bleeding

Old 05-31-2020, 01:34 PM
Power Poster

I just had a near miss with some black fabric a friend gave me. Said it was very old and soak it first. It was only a yard. I put it into a big bowl with almost boiling water. Water turned a deep color of what looked like red. I did this until the water ran clear but by then the fabric was very “gauzy” so I didn’t use it. In the meantime I had a Kona cotton jelly roll on order from
one place and a yard of black Kona from
another place and they both came and I did that same into almost boiling water with a test swatch and perfectly clear. Used the jelly roll strips in my project and washed up just fine. I wonder about that old fabric whose quality was masked with excess dye.
Old 06-07-2020, 12:19 PM

I am trying to make a quilt with a black background. Does anyone know if black Kona bleeds??

Thanks.
Old 06-07-2020, 12:37 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Purpleprint View Post
I am trying to make a quilt with a black background. Does anyone know if black Kona bleeds??

Thanks.
i just got two different Kona blacks. One was a jelly roll and one was yardage. I tested a piece of both on almost boiling water and the water stayed clear. I would still test a piece of yours to be sure.