Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Singer 15-91 all of a sudden sewing badly >

Singer 15-91 all of a sudden sewing badly

Singer 15-91 all of a sudden sewing badly

Old 06-06-2020, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by NZquilter View Post
When you say "not sewing well" do you mean the thread is shredding or breaking or are there bird's nests of thread underneath? Or is it not feeding the fabric?

You said you have changed the needle. Did you put it with the flat side of the needle towards the left? When you changed the bobbin, did it follow the correct path? Also when you rethread the top thread, make sure not to miss any steps. I've had thread go wonky on me because the top thread has jumped out of a spot.

I use my Singer 15-91 all the time. It is a great mechanical machine and I have learned that most problems are solved very easily and just take a bit of thinking. It like a good oil, like every eight hours of sewing.
Its just not giving a good straight stitch anymore. The needle is right. Bobbin threaded right. Oiled. Cleaned out lint. Maybe it's user error but was working perfectly.
I keep playing with it and it's better than it was but still not how it was.

Thanks everyone,
Old 06-06-2020, 06:24 AM

Seriously? Your husband says "it has to go if you don't figure it out soon"? That is sad, the 15-91 is one of Singers best machines.
Old 06-06-2020, 11:21 AM

The little zag appearance can be from a mismatch between needle size and thread size.
Old 06-06-2020, 05:56 PM

"it has to go if you don't figure it out soon"?
Are you serious? Your husband actually said that? Wow! What a guy!!!
I certainly don't envy you.
bkay
Old 06-06-2020, 06:08 PM

My hubby knows my vintage sewing machines are my toys. Even the ones that don't work he doesn't mind.

As for the slight zag in the stitches, I'm wondering if you either have too much pressure on the presser foot or not enough. You can regulate the pressure by turning the thumb screw on the top of the machine. Don't be afraid to turn it and play around with the pressure on scraps. Or, as WIChix said, it could be the wrong needle size for the thread size. I hope you can find a fix, because you sound like you absolutely love the machine!
Old 06-07-2020, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by bkay View Post
"it has to go if you don't figure it out soon"?
Are you serious? Your husband actually said that? Wow! What a guy!!!
I certainly don't envy you.
bkay
Thanks. I think he just didn’t want me to be frustrated with it. Because I was crying. He meant well!

Old 06-07-2020, 11:21 AM

Can you show us some of the problem stitches. My opinion of him just changed drastically. Thaks for the explanation.
Old 06-12-2020, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by leonf View Post
Can you show us some of the problem stitches. My opinion of him just changed drastically. Thaks for the explanation.
I think I attached a photo. I’ve been using only cotton. This isn’t a very good scrap but no matter brand new fabric this is what I get on the top side. The bottom isn’t too badly but you see the colored thread on the bottom side. I’ve tried adjusting both top and bobbin tension.

I just am not sure what I’m doing wrong. The machine is oiled well, no lint.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	8EC7E5C8-2CFB-405B-B02F-0DB0BB191100.jpeg
Views:	116
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	625689  
Old 06-13-2020, 01:55 AM

Thanks for posting the photo. I don't think the stitch looks too off. The holes are in a straight line, so it is stitching properly. I believe the slight zig appearance is due to the thread.
​​I see there are two different color threads. They may both be of top quality, but are they the same size, type, kind of thread?
Please give it a try with the same thread top and bottom, and let us know if that restored the stitch.
Old 06-13-2020, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by WIChix View Post
Thanks for posting the photo. I don't think the stitch looks too off. The holes are in a straight line, so it is stitching properly. I believe the slight zig appearance is due to the thread.
​​I see there are two different color threads. They may both be of top quality, but are they the same size, type, kind of thread?
Please give it a try with the same thread top and bottom, and let us know if that restored the stitch.
Thanks. I used 2 different colors just for example. Both are mettler thread. So I guess it's the same size etc. Using the same colors does the same thing too. I'll try to get a photo later.
Thanks.