Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Nested blocks, now what? >

Nested blocks, now what?

Nested blocks, now what?

Old 06-10-2020, 03:34 AM

I press my seams open because that is how I was taught to sew (decades ago). I guess my stitch length is short enough-I've never had a problem. Now that I am educated by videos inspired by the members of this amazing site of information, I'm "open" to pressing to the side!
Old 06-10-2020, 07:41 AM

Two of the most important rules that I adhere to when quilting are squaring up blocks and Ironing. You cannot press enough in my opinion. I press after each seam and this way I know that the pieces are where they belong. Congratulation on this frist quilt you are making. I can't wait to see pictures.
Old 06-10-2020, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by aashley333 View Post
I press my seams open because that is how I was taught to sew (decades ago). I guess my stitch length is short enough-I've never had a problem. Now that I am educated by videos inspired by the members of this amazing site of information, I'm "open" to pressing to the side!
Long ago for garment making I too was taught to iron seams open. The much smaller and then bulkier seams of quilt I learned early on were closed and to the darker color. I have only done 2 quilts that said to open the seams and press open. I was much surprised. Now that I mostly quilt I am doing closed seams all the time.
Old 06-10-2020, 12:46 PM

Sounds great and thanks also for the info on how to sew rows together. Now I have to piece the backing!! Another first. Stay healthy, Beth
Old 06-10-2020, 01:52 PM

Even those that usually recommend other things typically recommend a 1/2" seam pressed open for your backing!
Old 06-13-2020, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
Even those that usually recommend other things typically recommend a 1/2" seam pressed open for your backing!
The biggest reason seems to be that the seam in the backing gets rolled up when the long-armer does their work. If it's pressed open, that's one less layer of fabric. That's also why we are taught to make the seam horizontal or on the bias so that it doesn't all go into the roll in the same spot.