The ultimate 221 accessory?

Old 06-17-2020, 06:13 AM

Default The ultimate 221 accessory?

Admittedly I am very new to sewing machines, and I don't own a 221, but I saw this listing in Minneapolis where my sister lives. Is this is really an accessory for a 221, made to be carried in the case?

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/h...141760319.html
Old 06-17-2020, 07:19 AM

Hmmm I do not know. The case is alright fitted to the featherweight and its pedal. I do not think this will fit. If it did, where would it be?

Also, I thought the ultimate accessory for the featherweight is the original walking foot. It walks side to side.
Old 06-17-2020, 10:44 AM

It might fit under the arm if it's really short. Looks like a traveling size iron, but it doesn't show how far out that metal side cord part goes. Nor does it show the cord at all which condition would mean everything. Interesting Singer did make some vintage irons though, but it wouldn't be something I'd pursue even if I were a completionist My other concern beside cord condition would be the metal against paintwork, it would need to be cushioned which would add size vs. space.
Old 06-17-2020, 11:32 AM

People sometimes think the walking foot was designed for the featherweight, but it's simply a very hard to find Singer attachment that fits any short shank Singer, And at what it cost when it was new, probably not marketed to the folks that wanted a cheap machine.
Old 06-17-2020, 12:40 PM

"Fits" doesn't mean intensionally designed to fit/accompany. The FW wasn't designed for taking to quilt classes, along with your travel iron, it's just the way we use the FW often in modern times. It's a pretty neat little iron, though.
FWIW, I bought a vintage travel iron once, that puppy got , and took forever to cool down. I did not keep it!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-17-2020 at 05:04 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 06-17-2020, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
It might fit under the arm if it's really short. Looks like a traveling size iron, but it doesn't show how far out that metal side cord part goes. Nor does it show the cord at all which condition would mean everything. Interesting Singer did make some vintage irons though, but it wouldn't be something I'd pursue even if I were a completionist My other concern beside cord condition would be the metal against paintwork, it would need to be cushioned which would add size vs. space.
A "completionist"...I hope it's not contagious.
Old 06-17-2020, 05:55 PM

A friend of mine bought one of these and it fits in her featherweight case (I think along the side, but she pads it by having it in a cloth bag). She doesn't actually use the iron because she doesn't trust the wiring.
Old 06-18-2020, 04:17 AM

tinlizzy: the wiring on them often needs replacement and is relatively easy. There are heat insulated replacements especially for applicances like this too. I have come a cross a few mentions of people keeping the foldable iron in the Featherweight case. I think there are two types of cases for the Featherweight, minor diffferences, with or wtih out the tray. Not sure if it fits both of them, but they can just bout close the lid on case.

I don't know about ultimate accessory, it depens upon how attractive the old iron is to someone. There are lots of nice accessories that work for the low shank 221, the elusive Penguine (hardly obtainable), the Swiss zigzagger, some like the new Westalee ruler foot. I don't think there were a lot of accessories made especially for the Featherweights, but compatible with most of the low shank feet. I think the 121094 darning foot came with in the 221 accessories box, but also standard with the 201 accessories. I guess it depends upon what you are most likely to use.