Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
backing material too small >

backing material too small

backing material too small

Old 06-24-2020, 03:37 PM

I think this is what I will need to do. Thanks so much for your suggestion and quick reply.
Old 06-24-2020, 03:44 PM

This is very clever. Thanks for letting me know about this method. According to the calculations, I won't have enough fabric this time. Is this method meant to be used when you are short on backing fabric?
Old 06-24-2020, 03:45 PM

Yes, I don't think I will have enough material for this but an interesting suggestion.
Old 06-24-2020, 09:28 PM

This has happened to me. Don't over think this, I just add what I need to top and side. Turns out just fine.
Old 06-25-2020, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by true4uca View Post
I sometimes will cut my backing into four pieces and in your case do a ten inch cross . HTH.
I do the same if I need width and length. I'll run coordinating fabrics both up and down in a plus sign. But I don't try to center them, I off center them. That way if it gets crooked, it was intentional. If I only need width, I'll add any extra blocks to the width and make it wider.
Old 06-25-2020, 05:49 AM

Another person who pieces backs and advises to go off-center when adding fabric to make a backing bigger.

As I've quilted over the years, I've started doing more piecing on my backs. Incorporating fabrics that didn't make it to the top, usually because the scale is too large, orphan blocks, etc. More recently I'm trying to use up stash and since most of my fabrics are 3 yards or less, sometimes I have to look at the back as one very large quilt block.

I do not seem capable of making a baby quilt that actually fits one width of fabric. When the tolerances have been very close but not quite enough, I have put on two narrow borders along the problem length/width. You do want the additions to show, so that usually means cutting off a narrow strip of whatever was too narrow.

So, say you are dealing with yardage and a quilt that is a full 44" wide, but your backing fabric turns out to be only 42" usable. Cut off roughly 2" and then 4" strips on either side make it 48", which isn't a huge amount of extra but usable, you can always make the edging strips wider. I'm usually using a print on my backs, the bars tend to be coordinating solids.

When you baste your quilt together, work on having it go down the center and expect that there will be some degree of off-ness in the finished product, whether that is one side is slightly wider or narrower or some tapering.
Old 06-25-2020, 08:28 AM

I have put extra runner pieces on the sides of just a plain muslin when I have cut shy for my Grace Frame.
Old 06-25-2020, 08:43 AM
Power Poster

If this is a baby quilt - and you are quilting it on a domestic sewing machine - if you have an inch of backing all the way around -
pin/baste very carefully - and one can squeak by.
Old 06-25-2020, 07:31 PM

Thank you for your reply. That’s good to know but unfortunately I don’t even have an inch extra.
Old 06-26-2020, 04:20 AM

I ran into the same problem on a queen size quilt, so I made a large 9-patch for the backing. Turned out really nice.