Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
made a mess with tracing paper! >

made a mess with tracing paper!

made a mess with tracing paper!

Old 06-26-2020, 08:20 AM

Default made a mess with tracing paper!

Hello everyone,

I quilted a quilt using tracing paper to do my FMQ on it. Usually I use the crayola markers, but this quilt is black and purple and it was impossible to see the markings.

Here's my problem - I've washed the quilt twice and the tracing paper is still on the quilt. Someone (not on here) recommended this method, and said that the paper would just come off in the wash.

Not even close.

I've tried a sponge, a toothbrush, but neither of these seem to be working really well, and I don't want to pull at the stitches too much.

Does anyone have any ideas? I actually did this with two quilts LOL ... so I don't really want to have to pull it off by hand.

Thanks so much,

Marion
Old 06-26-2020, 08:33 AM
Power Poster

Maybe soak the quilt for a while so the paper gets even softer? That's all I can think to do. Sorry it happened, and hope you can get it off.
Old 06-26-2020, 08:56 AM

I've tried LOL ... I did a heavy duty wash with a 45 minute soaking period.

I'm really frustrated. I don't think my fingers can handle pulling all those pieces of paper off two quilts (they are super tired from weeding my huge garden!)

Thanks tho
Old 06-26-2020, 09:08 AM

I would have also suggested what Dunster said. Maybe if you soak it in very warm water. You must have had some strong tracing paper. Sorry this happened on your quilts and good luck on a good finish.
Old 06-26-2020, 09:10 AM
Power Poster

Was it Golden thread tracing paper? You could try their site to see what they recommend. If it was a kind of paper that was thicker, it will be harder to remove if you did close quilting. In that case I would say to use something like the pointed end of your stitch ripper to run along the lines of stitches to help loosen the paper. For super difficult paper to remove, I like my haemostats to grasp and pull. Good Luck
Old 06-26-2020, 09:16 AM

I use parchment paper from the dollar store when I'm sewing through stuff, it is typically very easy to get off.

How close together is your quilting? Sometimes you can fold and crease straight lines to help. I typically try to rip down one direction and then pull the paper out of the stitching from the other direction if that makes sense.

Among my paper removal tools are popsicle sticks and those manicure type little sticks. For more swirly designs I get those into the paper and zoom around -- but it does create quite a bit of fluff.

The other possibility is to rub along the quilting stitches, but that would be my last resort. Although everything would probably be ok I'd be concerned long term about damage to the quilting thread.

My most recent paper project wasn't quilting but piecing on adding machine paper tape. A light spritz of water and the popsicle stick and the paper was coming off like nothing I've ever seen before, love that paper tape. No little chads stuck in the seam allowane.
Old 06-26-2020, 10:19 AM
Power Poster

What kind of tracing paper? There are many different types with different content. Many confuse tracing with typing paper. Not the same at all. Even vellum is see through but is very water resistant. When I want to sew paper to fabric I use water soluble paper either see though or solid. I learned my lesson and only use the water soluble.
Old 06-26-2020, 10:59 AM

Have you considered using a soft nail brush (manicure brush). Brush off the dry paper without damaging the stitches. What a bummer this has been for you.
Old 06-26-2020, 02:37 PM

Oh, that’s terrible! Could you use masking tape to “tape off” the paper? Good luck!
Old 06-26-2020, 02:56 PM

I'm afraid that pulling it off by hand is your only option.

Next time, try water-soluble stabilizer like Solvy. I mark on it with sharpies (*not* crayola or other water-based markers!) and it comes off every time.