Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Hello from a new quilter >

Hello from a new quilter

Hello from a new quilter

Old 06-27-2020, 07:47 AM

Welcome from sunny Southern California. I listen to Canadian radio, and after traveling in Canada, certainly like and respect you Canadians. You have a wonderful country and wonderful people there.
Old 06-27-2020, 08:00 AM

Good morning and Welcome to the QB from SE Michigan! It is great to see you are just jumping in and to your question you should be fine. The shrinkage on most batting in very little and you could quilt a couple inches more apart with most battings. I would love to see pictures of your baby quilt as well as the L-o-n-g ago quilt. Believe me we all have such quilts in our UFO bins. Again Welcome to the QB and continue to join the fun!
Old 06-27-2020, 09:17 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from Mississippi! Hobbs 80/20 is my favorite batting... completely ok to wash and dry.
Old 06-27-2020, 10:38 PM

Default Thanks!

Thank you all very much for your answers to my question and your encouraging welcomes!

As requested, I've attached a couple of photos of the simple baby quilt I made. Not the most exciting or best coordinating fabrics, I’d purchased the only cotton I could find at the time for mask-making and there was very little choice or availability.

But, after making a .. of masks, it was a real pleasure to do something different. I enjoyed every step of the process! I also tried a few miscellaneous practice blocks to incorporate into the backing as I didn’t have nearly enough of anything left. I made mistakes, learned from them, and still think the end result is pretty good.

Here are a few blocks of the first quilt I started so long ago, too. (It’s not the layout, as there will be hourglass blocks between and then multiple borders outside, too, some pieced.) I think I picked something a bit too ambitious for a beginner back then. I only have about 5% of the piecing done and I don’t think any of the blocks I’ve already made are the same size, but I’m ready to give it another go, deal with my long-ago mistakes and get it done!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	front BQ.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	707.9 KB
ID:	626087   Click image for larger version

Name:	back BQ.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	452.7 KB
ID:	626088   Click image for larger version

Name:	fd quilt.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	626089  

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-28-2020 at 02:51 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 06-28-2020, 02:51 AM
Power Poster

very nice quilt... the last one is my favorite
Old 06-28-2020, 03:02 AM

Welcome, from the mitten state. Your as many have already said, your quilt will be fine. Honestly, it has been my experience that my baby quilts get folded and put on the back of a chair or the side of a crib and not used for everyday. Why? Don't know except modern young moms are afraid to use them and don't want to harm them. I always say, use it, I can always make another! A good first returning to quilting project! Enjoy all the chatter on the boards. Wander about, join in, ask questions and plan on lots of opinions, suggestions and a few tricks of our trade.
Old 06-28-2020, 03:52 AM

Welcome to the board and back to quilting from the small state of Delaware. Your baby quilt should be find for machine washing and lots of love. Don't forget to make something for yourself.
Old 06-28-2020, 03:54 AM

You did a great job!
Old 06-28-2020, 05:22 AM

Welcome, from Ontario!

It should be just fine to wash and dry, as said above.

My advice is to do just that...wash it and dry it just like a new Mom would, before you give it away , so you can check for any threads that come loose or anything like that before gifting. And, if you didn't pre-wash, you want it to shrink before the Mom gets it so she doesn't think she did something wrong when it comes out of the dryer looking different than when it went in.

Watson