Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting problem - machine stitching issues >

Quilting problem - machine stitching issues

Quilting problem - machine stitching issues

Old 06-30-2020, 10:16 AM

Default Quilting problem - machine stitching issues

I have quilted many quilts but this one is driving me crazy. I pinned it all about 4" apart. Then had some waves on the backing - fixed all that and it looked smooth and ready to go. I am just doing lines diagonally but it is stretching out and by the time I get to the other end I have to unpin everything and smooth with my hand while holding the fabric for stitching. It looks so bad. Sometimes I have had wrinkles sewn in. I unpinned it again on the side I am quilting and carefully pinned about 2-3" apart...and it is happening again. Do you know why?
Old 06-30-2020, 10:37 AM

Stitching diagonally does cause fabric to stretch. If you are using a regular sewing foot, it could be pushing the fabric along ahead of itself causing wrinkles. You might try a quilting foot that sort of bounces along and doesn't push on the fabric. If the fabric is square, try pinning across the diagonal along where you'll be stitching. This should help to keep the fabric from stretching on the diagonal.
Old 06-30-2020, 03:24 PM

I agree. It's most likely happening because you're stitching on the bias. Try lessening the presser foot pressure. Starching the snot out of the quilt top might help also, if you're not too far into the quilting process. If all else fails, you may want to reconsider the diagonal quilting and choose a different pattern.
Old 06-30-2020, 04:17 PM
Power Poster

Stitching on the bias can stretch the fabric. You might try reversing the bias direction you sew every other row. If you are using polyester batt, you will have more movement then with an 80/20 or cotton batt.
Old 07-01-2020, 04:26 AM

I agree that it could be the bias..one reason I asked about this is because I just quilted one exactly the same and no problems at all. But it was a panel with just blocks around that..so perhaps that is why. This one is all different blocks...oh!!!!!!! The blocks are set on the diagonal also...that must be it!!!!!!!! I am about 1/2 way through the quilt - so I will starch and pin more. Hope that will help.
Old 07-01-2020, 04:27 AM

Thanks for the help everyone...it helps to talk it out with friends!