Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
washing machine preferences >

washing machine preferences

washing machine preferences

Old 07-04-2020, 12:42 PM
Power Poster

I have a Samsung top loading washer. Never again! It's pretty much a lemon! Some loads keep going "unbalanced" and it can take 3 hours to get a load done.
I'm holding out for a Spped Queen top loading machine~~
Old 07-05-2020, 09:18 AM
Power Poster

I was told that the long cycles were due to too much detergent in the water. Only use 1/2 of what is recommended. I use one pod per regular load or 1/4 measure of liquid for small loads.
Old 07-05-2020, 12:32 PM

Sidebar into a somewhat-off-topic note: I suspect the long washing machine cycles are similar to long cycles for dishwashers. My husband and I were in Lowe's a couple of years ago, purchasing a new refrigerator. Got into a very interesting conversation with one of the guys there who does a lot of their warranty repair work. He talked a lot about what makes appliances fail: For ranges, it's the self-clean cycle. The electronic circuit boards are not built to take the ultra high heat that most self-clean cycles use, and end up getting fried. For dishwashers, it's the detergent pods. Oftentimes the pods do not dissolve completely and gum up the works. I wish I would have asked him why the pods don't dissolve completely - if it's hard or soft water, not hot enough water, not enough water period, etc. I mentioned that I was holding out on replacing my dishwasher, which was in our home when we bought it 20 years ago. He told me to keep it working as long as I could, it was likely much better performance-wise than most of the ones on the market! I asked him why the newer dishwashers run for so long. They're supposed to be more energy efficient, but how is that possible when they run at least twice as long as my old one does? He said they're more energy efficient because the power pulses as it runs. On, off, on, off. In the older ones, the power stayed on. This makes me wonder if that's why washing machines run longer, too.
Old 07-05-2020, 01:11 PM
Power Poster

Most people use cold or cool water to wash now. I don't know any detergent that dissolves completely in cold water, not even liquid unless it diluted down. Turn your washer to hot wash and then check the water after it fills. Chances are good it will not be hot. The new washers have a temp control and if the water is above a certain temp the cold water is added. It's hard to get a true hot wash. When I want hot wash and bleach I tun off the cold faucet value to the washer. I have used the clean cycle on my oven at least once a month and the oven is almost 20 years old and working fine. I want a new one but I don't know how fragile the new ones are but I guess not made to be great for home use unless it's the $10,000 plus brands.
Old 07-05-2020, 01:14 PM
Power Poster

Kids growing up today won't even realize appliances use to be made to last for decades. No use my complaining, they will never change back Look at Maytag, it went downhill big time like the Singer sewing machines.
Old 07-05-2020, 01:43 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
DH and I rarely get dirty so any washer does a good job cleaning for us. I wanted a quiet washer with no lid lock. DH had to disconnect the electrical lid lock as they all come with that now. I also wanted hand wash cycle because it washes fabric and quilts perfectly. No strings on the fabric at all. I got a GE High Profile top loader. The features change so fast on washers having one you had before is almost impossible. I always buy the the model right under the highest price one of the same brand. I got that tip from an appliance dealer and always buy appliances on sale with free delivery and carry off of old one. Even if you have to pay a little extra for carry off, it's still a bargain not to have to do it, if you know where to take it.
i think that is the one I have. I like it. I can set it on a super fill. I mainly use the speed wash because we mostly are indoors and don’t have real dirt to contend with. I can open the lid any time while it is filling and that is fine with me. All of the quilts I have washed come out fine. I use Kirkland pods. The matching dryer works fine for my purposes. The son has an Electrolux front loader set which is really nice. I’ve been helping with laundry since son is so sick and it also has a speed wash and is quiet and gets things clean. The dryer wasn’t working so great so I asked them to get the vent hose cleaned and now it is great again. Before we moved I had a sears mechanical washer top loader and didn’t want to move it and buyer wanted it. Would still like to have that one back.
Old 07-05-2020, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by CarlySue View Post
I guessed it was because it does not fill much, so part of quilt stayed above water line and was dry, and part that was under the water line faded. I had meticulously prewashed the fabrics, and the quilt had been laundered previously with good results, and I washed it on gentle cycle in cold water. It had a dark rust solid, and a dark rust paisley, plus gray and unbleached muslin. Now all the off-white muslin is pink, but with bleed areas that are unsightly.
Back to the OP and her original question.... CarlySue, was there anything else that was washed with this quilt that might have bled? Is this the same washing machine and soap combination you used previously? How did you originally pretreat your fabrics?
Old 07-05-2020, 08:46 PM

Default washing machine preferences

I will never buy another GE washer, dryer or refrigerator. Our front load Maytag was fantastic, until it died. We bought a front load GE from a local dealer. The indicator light says it is washing. It doesn't even add enough water to get everything wet before it adds the soap. I start a load (no soap), let 'wash' a few min, shut it off, it drains, then I add soap and start over. The dryer is no better. The load might be half dry when it stops. Re-start the dryer, it still doesn't know what dry is.
So much for shopping local. Energy saving? I have to waste a lot of energy on GE products.
I sure hope our Kitchen-aid dishwasher runs forever.
trustme2
Old 07-06-2020, 03:32 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by trustme2 View Post
I will never buy another GE washer, dryer or refrigerator. Our front load Maytag was fantastic, until it died. We bought a front load GE from a local dealer. The indicator light says it is washing. It doesn't even add enough water to get everything wet before it adds the soap. I start a load (no soap), let 'wash' a few min, shut it off, it drains, then I add soap and start over. The dryer is no better. The load might be half dry when it stops. Re-start the dryer, it still doesn't know what dry is.
So much for shopping local. Energy saving? I have to waste a lot of energy on GE products.
I sure hope our Kitchen-aid dishwasher runs forever.
trustme2
curious to know if you ever had a service call on it. We got a service contract on all our appliances and it paid for itself when the ice maker went out on the LG fridge.
Old 07-06-2020, 06:08 AM
Power Poster

Peggi, we have a new dishwasher that cleans better than any we've ever had. It's a Kitchenaid and I absolutely love it. It goes a long time but you can't hear it. I don't know why it takes so long but I really like it.
The one appliance we've never had die was a stove. We've always had gas and they live forever lol

Last edited by SusieQOH; 07-06-2020 at 06:11 AM.