Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Too many left over blocks...again! >

Too many left over blocks...again!

Too many left over blocks...again!

Old 06-28-2020, 02:16 PM

The way I work with scrap fabrics is typically I make an additional 6 or so blocks per top to give me layout options. Lately I've started putting those together and incorporate them into the back. Other times I take stock along the way and deliberately make enough (typically 12) to make some sort of coordinating dog blanket. More sensible people might make pillow covers instead
Old 07-05-2020, 02:26 PM

I've been making HST like there is tomorrow. Using up lots of scraps but wanted to make groups of 4 blocks in color families so it took me awhile to have enough...I thought.

Last night stared to sew the famliles into columns and so each block is three columns...2 going North and in the middle 1 going south. Really turning out nice. (Making baby quilts for the family even tho there no babies on the horizon.)

So today realized I have enough blocks to make 2 and a half baby quilts with blocks left over.

My problem is I don't have and EQ program to plan the pattern out so I just start sewing and redesigning as I go along.

I think I need a vacation, glass of wine, or both. I vote for the wine to start with.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-05-2020 at 04:15 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 07-05-2020, 04:43 PM

!!!!!.....Good news. I played around wilth the lay out and I only need to make one more column of 4 blocks and I'll have enough for 2, yes, 2 more baby quilts.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-06-2020 at 03:52 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 07-05-2020, 08:16 PM

Lacking EQ, Graph paper is your friend.
Old 07-06-2020, 08:57 AM

If anything, I have a tendency of not making enough blocks and then I'm losing my cookies trying to figure out if I have enough fabric left to finish everything. That's one of the reason why I end up getting almost a full yard per color more than what I need, just to make sure I've got enough before I get started and the reason my stash got away with me for a little while. Which is funny in of itself because I use Electric Quilt 5 and you would figure I would trust the software to tell me how much I need.
Old 07-08-2020, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
I usually end up with a few extra blocks when making a quilt and I just put them on the back. This way I don't end up with extra orphan blocks and I don't need as much backing fabric.
This is what I do. Put them on the back. I also put extra piano keys or other design elements left over in the center of the back. Then just add as much other fabric as needed. Sometimes I use several different fabrics just to "use it up".
Old 07-08-2020, 08:54 AM

I love the idea that you work any extra blocks into the back of your quilt. Thank you for stating this. I have made a matching pet bed with mine.