Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
MSQC Block of the month >

MSQC Block of the month

MSQC Block of the month

Old 07-09-2020, 03:08 PM

Default MSQC Block of the month

In all the years I’ve quilted, have not made a BOM, so I’m starting what looks to be very straight forward,the star MSQC quilt. I’m just not much of a joiner, and I find that as I get older I would like to join and do things together with others. Sound like fun. What have experienced with BOM’s been like for others?
Old 07-09-2020, 04:04 PM

What is the MSQC. Do you have to have a book to work with? I've not done a regular BOM before
Old 07-09-2020, 04:10 PM

MSQC is the Missouri Star Quilt Company in Hamilton, Missouri, USA.
Old 07-09-2020, 04:34 PM
Power Poster

I've done one with Piecing the Past before. It was free, but you had to download your block within a week of it being given. Then it would be taken down and you could buy it for $1.00. It was lots of fun and I made a beautiful quilt from it. I think we had a group here that were making it, which was even better.

It was a civil war type quilt called Rest and Refreshing.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	OIP.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	626428  
Old 07-09-2020, 08:23 PM

Usually around the beginning of the year there are a number of new BOM that come up that are free. I use to do a lot of them but have fallen away in the last 10 years. I have enough patterns stored from various BOM patterns that I have them printed up in scrapbooks so I can do them when every I want to and more quickly than one a month.
They are a great way to join in a fun activity and for me they can be as much fun ans mystery quilts. In many instances I get to interact with quilters from around the world.
The QB has one here and there that have been shared from time to time. The good thing is you can join in the fun anytime. You just might have to play catch up to get earlier blocks. I have one I am doing now that I missed 2 months on and now I have to buy the pattern . The rest I am picking up monthly so I don't have a fee for the pattern. I will make them up when I get a bit more organized here at home.
Old 07-10-2020, 02:56 AM

Connecting Threads has one starting next month--Annabelle. It's pretty and $35 a month. You are charged just before it ships and they ship one block a month. And you can cancel at any time if you don't want to stay with it.
Old 07-10-2020, 03:37 AM

Sewbizgirl I love your quilt!

jfolwes-I have not done a BOM or mystery. I like to see beforehand because let's face it, we don't all have the same taste. I don't want to use my time and money on something that I'm not happy making. How do I find MSQC BOM?
Old 07-10-2020, 04:07 AM

The Fat Quarter Shop is just starting a Christmas lap quilt BOW right now that looks pretty.

I've done a number of mystery quilts and had fun with them all. I tend to get bored with BOM, as I like to work on a project to the finish and not pick away a bit at a time.

Watson
Old 07-10-2020, 04:24 AM

I’ve done several by mail and have been following the MSQ free one. Also did a BOM at a local quilt shop. I kind of like them. Gives you time to complete the block. Also is a great way to learn new techniques.

i love the MSQ blocks that is available right now. The stars are awesome. go for it!!!
Old 07-10-2020, 04:41 AM

The only quilt along l've joined in on was the Bee--utiful one on the Moda site 3 yr.ago. , a cute hand embroidery pattern was loaded each week. I thoroughly enjoyed that one, as l could print the pattern, and save it if l ran short on time. I chose 9 of my favorites, and made a sweet baby quilt for my new grandd. Most BOMs and quilt alongs publish a picture of the finished quilt before it starts...not so with mystery ones , which is why l'd never participate ( though l did follow/ download the recent Sytar one ) but haven't decided to sew it. The fun on the group stitching of these designs is more in the sharing and stories shared amongst the participants! We all miss our groups and company of other quilters these days. Go ahead, join in the fun....get to " know" other quilters, and perhaps learn a thing or 2 along the way.:-))