Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Cutting Table Ideas >

Cutting Table Ideas

Cutting Table Ideas

Old 02-09-2020, 10:01 AM

I found a counter/pub size table at a Goodwill Store that works great! Perfect height for cutting. It measure 50 x 36 without the leaf.
Old 02-09-2020, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by mindless View Post
I'm admiring the table risers under your table legs. Might I ask....where did you find them? And, how tall are they? So cute!
Thank you, I bought them at a local store called "Renys", sorry. They are 6" tall.
Old 03-10-2020, 04:07 AM

I found a pub height table at a 2nd hand store that I use. It's 60 x 36 and is just the right height that keeps me from bending over.
Old 03-10-2020, 07:14 AM

I use the dining room table … but my mother-in-law had a custom cutting table made from 2 upper kitchen cabinets put back to back and a Formica top made for the top … she has had it for over 20 years and it is great!
Old 03-10-2020, 02:53 PM

I too have a kitchen Island on wheels It has an extension on one end. I can walk around it or easily move it.
Old 03-15-2020, 05:01 AM

Default Little did I know....

I thought I would add an update from my previous post about my new cutting table setup. I posted previously about the new shelving unit, and using it as my cutting table because it was taller. I also at the same time added bedrisers to my table that my sewing machine sat on to raise it also to 36". I have seen the Martelli tables and reading up on ergonomics discusses the benefits of sit/stand desk, so it translated to me to trying raising my cutting area and the table my sewing machine is on. I have an adjustable chair, so it did still allow me to sit or stand to sew. I also made sure to be aware of my body while standing to sew, elbows at my side, back straight.
Little did I know................ About six weeks go I started having trouble with knots under my shoulder blades, terribly. I couldn't figure out what was causing it. I would take antiinflammatories, use biofreeze, heat, massage from DH. Finally, one night as I was awake in the middle of the night suffering with another knot, DH says to me, you have got to figure out what is causing this, it's something your doing differently. , well guess what, only thing I was doing different was all in my sewing studio. The next morning I adjusted some things. It's been two weeks, amazingly, not one knot since rearranging stuff. I thought I was doing something better for my body, when in reality, for me, I was not. It was a real eyeopener for me. I guess it was the higher angle of my cutting table and machine positioning that made me hold my shoulders different, and my body did not like it. So, swapped my iron and cutting bases, ironing is now on the 36" tall shelving unit,and no problems. As a quilter, ironing is in short stints, a seam here and there, then the final top touchups, ect.... no pressure from our shoulders. My cutting table is now on my previous ironing base, and with it being lower, my shoulders are happy again. As quilters, some of us, will cut an entire pattern or scraps, trimming, lots of rotary cutting at a time, with some downward pressure.
I wanted to update this and add this info in case some of you are having a body ache or issue related to your quilting, sewing, positioning. It was a real eye opener for me and once I made the adjustments my body needed, happy quilter, happy sewer again. Hope this helps so we can all enjoy our time at our machines and doing what we love.
img_20200315_055926903_kindlephoto-328220369.jpg
Old 07-14-2020, 07:59 PM

Risers can be purchased at Walmart online or in some stores with storage items. They are actually bed risers and come in plastic or wood in sets of 4 or more. They are available in different heights.

Last edited by CMQUILTER; 07-14-2020 at 08:02 PM.
Old 07-21-2020, 05:40 AM

I used 2, inexpensive, rolling, file cabinets as a base and the DH made me a cutting board to go over them. The board has a lip facing downward, so that it locks the 2 filing cabinets tightly together. It's great for cutting in a small space and also makes for wonderful storage. The cabinets are black, so that they match the rest of the desk unit in the room. I think that the height is just about 36". If not, it could always be built up by adjusting the cutting board thickness.

~C
Old 07-21-2020, 06:28 AM

I have half of a ping pong table with legs put on it for the right height. Under it I store the cubes with bins, plastic drawer towers or large bins. I also have the Harbor Freight work bench, put padding on top and use as a iron board.
Old 08-31-2020, 01:21 PM

I have an old bar height table that I use, I'm 6ft tall - it's a godsend!!!