Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
What do you use to hang rulers and stencils? >

What do you use to hang rulers and stencils?

What do you use to hang rulers and stencils?

Old 03-10-2020, 07:59 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by AlvaStitcher View Post
My husband screwed some L-shaped hooks to the bottom of my thread rack. It holds my rulers and stencils neatly.Attachment 616887
are those sewing notions on your cupboard as knobs??? Looks like a thimble and spool of thread.... Love the thread rack and added hooks.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-10-2020 at 11:35 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 03-10-2020, 09:43 AM

Plastic file holder. It has separators so different sizes can be "filed" together. It's unobtrusive on my ironing station, easy to see what's there, doesn't require installation and helps me be organized.
Old 03-10-2020, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by stillvnu View Post
That is an awesome place to hang your rulers GEMRM! Handy husband!
He is very handy - has modified or made lots of stuff for me for my sewing room and machines - of course, I reciprocate with sewing tasks on a variety of shop, snowmobile and hobby things for him!
Old 03-11-2020, 12:05 AM

A peg board.
Old 03-12-2020, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Claire123 View Post
A peg board.
I found a hanging magazine holder....at least that is what I think it was....anyway....I use it to hold all my smaller more frequently used rulers...it is about 5 feet long and about 12 inches wide....it has 7 pockets and I hang it from the top of one of my doors...it is made of canvas and the top has two grommets' and something stiff is placed at top to hold the sides out....I really like it...just reach in a pocket and pull out what I need....I have thought about making another one....but that is on my "to do" list...ummm maybe for several years now....
Old 03-12-2020, 05:45 PM

Lawsonmugs, Yes, my husband used some of my old wooden spools with thread and a couple thimbles to use as door handles for the cabinets we hung in my sewing room. He painted clear acrylic over the thread on the spool so it would not come loose. I wish I had enough of the wooden spools to use because the thimbles are more difficult to grip to open the cabinet. He is a great hubby!
Old 03-13-2020, 08:24 AM
Power Poster

Thanks Alva. I think it's a cute idea. Great husband you have.
Old 07-14-2020, 08:11 PM

I use a 6 tier skirt and pants hanger. The clips slide so they are adjustable and can hold more than one ruler. I hang mine in my sewing room closet. Have also hung it on a wall hook and on the back of a door using an over the door hook.
Old 07-15-2020, 04:57 AM

I have a ruler slotted board on my cutting table for those rulers I use daily, I keep my 24" rulers hanging at one end of the cutting table. Those specialty rulers I may use more often than others I have hanging up on pegboard just behind my cutting table and those I rarely use are in a drawer. I keep rulers by a particular maker in separate drawers so I know which drawer to open. Same goes for my quilting rulers, they're in a drawer just under the quilt frame so nearby when I need them.
Old 07-15-2020, 06:03 AM

Default What do you use to hang rulers and stencils

Originally Posted by amyjo View Post
I hang them using command strips then if I need to move them someplace else I can pull it off with no damage to wall and rehang wherever. I too converted my garage but into my sewing studio plus I needed a ramp to get out there and not enuf room yet for my cabinets. Must mean I have too much stuff right?
I use the Command strips also. Takes up much less space than a "hanging bar." I hang all my rulers, templates, stencils and the like on these strips that have the metal hook on them. Use the largest ones available and you will be surprised at the number of items one strip will hold.