Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Squaring Up When It Counts >

Squaring Up When It Counts

Squaring Up When It Counts

Old 07-16-2020, 04:26 PM

Default Squaring Up When It Counts

I'm curious...for those of you that compete in your local fairs and quilt shows...how much extra care do you take to square up, make sure the points match, etc? I'm considering entering the local quilt competition at our county fair in 2021. I need to start now, if I have any chance of finishing on time. What steps do you take to make sure that your quilt is square?

How about how your points match up? Is perfection a must? How do you square up an entire quilt without lopping off the points?

For squaring up: Do you square up each block? Each row? A groups of blocks? The entire quilt? How important is it to the judge that your quilt is perfectly square?

How about how perfectly points meet up? Does it have to be absolutely perfect? If so, how do you get to perfection?

Inquiring minds want to know.

~ C
Old 07-16-2020, 04:37 PM

Personally, a always square each block as I make it. Here in Kansas, it all depends on the Judge at the county fair. This year I am not entering anything due to Covid 19. I think it is foolish to even have the county fairs this year. Try your hardest and hope that when your quilt is judged, that comments are written on the back of the entry form. That is how it is done here anyhow. Good luck for next year. One year I got best of show in 2 counties and did not even get a ribbon is the 3rd county all on the same quilt. Here in our area of Kansas, it is not at all unusual to enter in your surrounding counties as well as the county where you live.

Last edited by P-BurgKay; 07-16-2020 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Forgot to add a thought.
Old 07-16-2020, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by P-BurgKay View Post
Personally, a always square each block as I make it. Here in Kansas, it all depends on the Judge at the county fair. This year I am not entering anything due to Covid 19. I think it is foolish to even have the county fairs this year. Try your hardest and hope that when your quilt is judged, that comments are written on the back of the entry form. That is how it is done here anyhow. Good luck for next year. One year I got best of show in 2 counties and did not even get a ribbon is the 3rd county all on the same quilt. Here in our area of Kansas, it is not at all unusual to enter in your surrounding counties as well as the county where you live.
Best in Show? Twice!?! Wow! Congrats!

I agree with the covid-19 thing. I'm optimistic that next year will be better, so I'm planning for going all out next year.

~ C
Old 07-16-2020, 06:06 PM
Power Poster

I do my best on whatever quilt I am working on. I square up my blocks being careful to not cut off any points and I square up the whole quilt before adding binding. It really depends on what you are competing against and the judge, Some judges will lay the quilt flat to see if the borders are wavy.
Old 07-16-2020, 07:32 PM

Sometimes I think it’s all about the way you were taught to do things. I was taught from the beginning to square up each block as I made it. Currently I am making a quilt of stars and if I am losing my points I will either take it apart or redo it so that they look crisp. I know for the most part that the judges make the decision. Generally when you apply you get the rules of what they are looking for and what is expected. Get in the habit of doing it all as if it were going to be judged and you will do fine. Good luck!
Old 07-16-2020, 07:43 PM

I was told one time that the way to learn about the judging of a quilt, was to volunteer to work with a judge at your local guild's show. Whether or not this is possible, I don't really know. Might be fun to ask your program chair if they could have someone give a talk on what the judges look for in judging a quilt.

Since I believe in Mr. Google, I thought I would see if there was anything out there for the Standard for judging quilts. There are lots. This is the first one I opened. https://4h.unl.edu/documents/06Quilt...%20judging.pdf
Old 07-17-2020, 03:13 AM

I don't enter shows at all. But as Tartan said, I do my best on each quilt I make. I square up each unit as I build each block. As such, I've never needed to square up an entire quilt.
Old 07-17-2020, 04:01 AM

A lot depends on who is doing the judging. At our smaller county fair, the judge is not a certified quilt judge, and just about everyone gets a blue ribbon. At our quilt show and our state fair, however, we have a certified judge, and they look at everything: the joins on the binding, the points in the blocks, the quality of the quilting (and our last judge said custom quilting is the way to go - edge-to-edge has its merits for certain quilts, but you don't get as many points as you would for custom), etc. I don't know how much they look at how square the final product is, but if it isn't somewhat square, it will be noticeable and you would likely "lose" points for that. So, just take your time, make each block as square as possible, and - in short - do the very best you can. Even if you don't win a top prize, hopefully the critique of the quilt will be helpful for the next time.
Old 07-17-2020, 04:08 AM

The little details add up across the span of a whole quilt. Check the unit size and the finished block size. It's easy to correct and re-do if needed.

I like to sew 4 finished blocks together and square those as needed to make the quilt. I seldom sew rows of blocks together in long strips. Really important blocks are stay-stitched and then pressed to keep the shape. Stay-stitch around the quilt and all the borders before sewing the borders on. Press again after stay-stitching.

Can you tell that I'm a fan of stay-stitching? Check the edge of a strip of fabric without it. Stay-stitch and press the edges, See how they are flat and smooth?

I haven't entered any shows so I don't know show standards but here are a few tips for the final square-up after quilting.

Check the border area to make sure it is still the correct size. Dampen with a light spray and block to the size needed. I use two large rulers plus the 24x6 rulers to check corners and edges first. There are metal 48 inch rulers for about $8 at the hardware store. These make great helpers too.

I like to cut down the quilt about an inch larger than needed first. Then go back for the final check and cut. It's easier to manage without the excess batting and fabrics. Good luck with your quilt and the show.

Old 07-17-2020, 04:15 AM
Power Poster

I square my blocks, square as I construct. Nothing is Perfect! We’ve been shown the Beauty of Imperfection by looking at nature where every flower or leaf is different.
judges do look at workmanship and want things done as well as you are capable of. The quilts I’ve had appraised and judged have never been ( Perfect- there is no such thing) but they have hung straight, the sides, top & bottom have been straight and measure evenly, judges look at mitered corners, make sure mitered binding is stitched closed, quilting can make small imperfections disappear, quilting should enhance the quilt and be balanced. The overall appearance when you step back and look makes the biggest impression.