Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Too Many Gadgets?? >

Too Many Gadgets??

Too Many Gadgets??

Old 07-07-2020, 05:25 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
at the start of the pandemic I decided to really deep clean my sewing room. I was working on a scrap string quilt so went through that pile (3 big bags) and pulled what I wanted and then sorted those that I could not see myself using again and gave what was left to a friend that does lots of scrappy 6" blocks--it felt so good to get rid of some stuff! And now I'm really making myself clean up every time I stop sewing, instead of just walking out and shutting the door!
That's me!!! I need to clean up after myself like I kept yelling at my boys about when they were growing up lol They are far neater than I am
Old 07-07-2020, 06:57 AM

I have more than I will ever use as far as gadgets, fabrics and rulers. Getting my sewing room together is on the list but that has to wait until the dishwasher is fixed and I can get everything back in the Kitchen. I want to clear drawers and especially the floors. the fabrics wait until winter as a winter project. My thought is to collect all the double or triple items I have and put them on a table for free things to our guild members. That is a few months off as it stands right now. I am way over the top on overload of extras here.
Old 07-16-2020, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
toogie, I looove my Bloc locs! They are fantastic for trimming HST's. So glad I bought them.
I also love Quilters Select Rulers. I am slowly replacing mine with them. They have a coating on the bottom that makes them stay on the fabric while cutting.
Also love Tucker's Trimmer tools.
My husband would like those rulers because he is what keeps my rulers from slipping.
Old 07-20-2020, 04:34 AM

It must be in the air, downsizing and organizing I mean. I recently revamped my sewing room, too. In the process, I found I sometimes repurchased items and have a partially done set of quilt blocks that I was making for my grandmother. She has since passed and it was really hard on me as we were very close. I am keeping that project and will someday complete it. I'm so sorry for your loss and certainly understand needing a fresh start for your brother's quilt.

When I donate, I send most of the sewing related items to the local hospice organization. I met one of their volunteer coordinators through a local freecycle group. Thank you for your post, I may have to post some sewing machines on there soon and hope neighbors will put them to good use.
Old 07-20-2020, 05:26 AM

I'm attempting to organize my sewing area, too! The problem I run into is that my favorite color is blue, and it's hard to subdivide into the clear plastic storage tubs I ordered. Plus, I"m indecisive!
Since I am on the beginning end of collecting gadgets, storing all 3 rulers isn't that hard. I did just acquire the Drunkard"s Path template. Can't wait to attempt a quilt, but can't decide which "path" to take! Did I mention that I'm indecisive?
Old 07-20-2020, 06:25 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by retrogirl02 View Post
It must be in the air, downsizing and organizing I mean. I recently revamped my sewing room, too. In the process, I found I sometimes repurchased items and have a partially done set of quilt blocks that I was making for my grandmother. She has since passed and it was really hard on me as we were very close. I am keeping that project and will someday complete it. I'm so sorry for your loss and certainly understand needing a fresh start for your brother's quilt.

When I donate, I send most of the sewing related items to the local hospice organization. I met one of their volunteer coordinators through a local freecycle group. Thank you for your post, I may have to post some sewing machines on there soon and hope neighbors will put them to good use.
Thanks for the kind words and I give them back to you about your beloved grandmother. Yes, I am going to start a new one for my sweet bro
Old 07-20-2020, 06:38 AM

After buying a ruler I already had, I made an Excel spreadsheet and listed all my rulers and sorted them two ways--one by brand and one by size. I now check it before I buy a new one. When I look at the list, I try not to think about how much money I've spent!
Old 07-20-2020, 07:37 PM

Default That's great to hear.

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
Thanks for the kind words and I give them back to you about your beloved grandmother. Yes, I am going to start a new one for my sweet bro
That's great to hear! Thank you for the kind response.
Wishing you the best,
Heather