Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Scant 1/4" >

Scant 1/4"

Scant 1/4"

Old 07-19-2020, 06:56 AM

Also the placement of the light in your machine can make a difference. My 25+yo machine throws a little line of shadow just to the right of the foot. I guess when it was manufactured they never thought it would make any difference. And if you were sewing clothes or anything else with a wider seam and more tolerance for tiny errors, it wouldn't. I see that some of the newer machines designed for quilters have an LED light bar. When you have an auxiliary light to eliminate the shadow, you get much better results.
Old 07-19-2020, 09:02 AM
Power Poster

I hate patterns that recommend scant 1/4. If I see that on the instructions, I move on to another pattern.
Old 07-19-2020, 09:06 AM

My fiance has asked multiple times why I am torturing myself so soon with a DWR, because IceBlossom is right, they offer up a whole new set of challenges to overcome but that's exactly the reason why I chose it. I've pretty much got the 'Y' seams down for a machine pieced Grandmother's Flower Garden, it was logical, at least to me, to start working on a DWR.

Up until now, I've been quite terrified of arcs and circles, but the more I work it, the more confident I'm becoming, I don't want to be limited to straight seams. My curved seams leave a lot to be desired, but they're starting to smooth out, now I just have to nail down the scant quarter.

As for thread, in case others ask, I'm using Aurifil, 50wt and a Microtex needle, 80/12.

My lighting does need a lot of work, someone took the light assembly from my machine before I got it, so I'm using an LED light bar that started out nice and bright, but has now turned yellow on me for some reason, that's the second one, too.

You ladies are giving me some awesome ideas, thank you and keep them coming, please!

Old 07-20-2020, 11:54 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I hate patterns that recommend scant 1/4. If I see that on the instructions, I move on to another pattern.
I do the same thing. I can't be bothered with that.
Old 07-20-2020, 01:29 PM
Power Poster

Use thin thread in top and bobbin and forget about the scant. Biggest bunch of tom foolery every thrown out there in the quilting world. Just my opinion in case anyone asks. LOL
Old 07-20-2020, 06:06 PM

Like many I struggled finding 1/4" mostly because I was lining up fabric with edge of foot. It was never right and many blocks were undersized! I always use 50 WT thread but it still happened. I kept thinking I'd get it right with practice ! I recently made a Lori Holt quilt and with all those seams accuracy is a must. My light bulb moment came when I lined my fabric up as usual and moved my needle over 2 clicks. Every block was exact. Maybe it's my eyes or how I sit but once I decided to quit trying to conform to the machine and let it conform to me it was a breeze.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-21-2020 at 03:35 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 07-21-2020, 06:05 AM
Power Poster

Some 50wt threads are not thin piecing thread.
Old 07-21-2020, 06:10 AM

I am blessed to be able to move my sewing machine over a bit and that works for me on the machine I am currently using. I do a quick measurement if I change machines to insure I have that scant 1/4" seam allowance when necessary and use a 1/4" foot otherwise.