Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
wrapping/mailing a bridal shower gift quilt >

wrapping/mailing a bridal shower gift quilt

wrapping/mailing a bridal shower gift quilt

Old 07-21-2020, 06:17 AM

Be sure to use blue wedding dress tissue to wrap your quilt in. Even though it is not being stored over time there is always the possibility of damage from the box that you are shipping in. Better to be safe. Fold you quilt to fit the box and then do a diagonal turn so the label shows from the top when the tissue is folded back. I know that it will steal the show! To bad you can't be there for the shower.
Old 07-21-2020, 06:22 AM

I'm big on wrapping quilts/blocks in a bag when sending. I'll sometimes send boxes of fabric without what I feel is adequate moisture protection but never a finished project. As mentioned, always include an inside address that is actually inside the bag!, not just between it and the carton where it can get lost.

So yes to folding the quilt to show your label and layering it the box to open as a presentation. That means you also have to put large messages on the outside of the box instructing where/how to open.

I've seen some really fun stuff where you pack in one of those helium wrapped balloons and they rise up out of the box (put it on a string attached around the package so it doesn't get sucked up into a ceiling fan or something!

If you haven't shipped a quilt or anything large lately, the price may be more than you are expecting especially with any sort of fancy/large box. A quilt that size will most likely fit into a large flat rate box (around $20), you could still fold/pack so the label shows, but it will arrive a bit creased. Is there someone maybe you can send the quilt to and have them do the presentation for you?
Old 07-21-2020, 07:50 AM
Power Poster

You might need to get some "inside assistance" if you want this quilt to be presented in the way you are hoping/imagining it will be.

There are a lot of gifts at some showers - and sometimes the bride-to-be is in a rush to get through the stack - and sometimes the guests are in a rush to get to the food -

Would it be appropriate to send a photo to be at the shower and somehow get the gift to the bride-to-be earlier so she can truly appreciate it?
Old 07-21-2020, 08:01 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by toverly View Post
Be sure to call it a "blanket" not a quilt, when it comes to the description. I learned the hard way.
I've been saying "fabric scraps"!
Old 07-21-2020, 11:01 AM

Oh, another thing - I would definitely put a piece of cardboard on both ends of the box to protect the contents. Not everyone is careful when cutting that tape with a knife. It would be a tragedy for the quilt to get sliced in the process of opening the box.
Old 07-21-2020, 01:06 PM

You could also put a small tracking tile in the parcel. That way, even if it does go "lost", you will know where it is.