Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Amazon branded antique machine >

Amazon branded antique machine

Amazon branded antique machine

Old 07-24-2020, 07:11 PM

Question Amazon branded antique machine

I am casually looking through the Facebook Merchandise for sale page for Sewing Machines and found An obviously antique treadle for sale with the label Amazon in gold on the harp(?). The seller put it up as a Singer Amazon, which it isn’t unless Singer allowed one to come off the line without the Singer Logo. The machine is sadly rusted and the table is about as stripped down as you could get with possibly two small drawers, or maybe none, and the treadle. The seller has a price of $200 on it so I’m not even tempted. I can’t get a search engine to turn up anything but Amazon.com no matter how I phrase it. Does anyone have any information on an Amazon treadle Machine?
Old 07-25-2020, 03:15 AM

Many manufacturers would sell machines and "badge" them with a brand of the buyer's choice, eg a hardware or department store. (But not Singer). A photo would help with identification of the manufacturer.
Old 07-25-2020, 04:39 AM

I saw one on CL a while back. I found that Amazon was a 'badge' name for National machines.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 07-25-2020, 07:17 AM

It's hard for me to imagine Amazon badging an antique sewing machine....hummm.

~ C
Old 07-25-2020, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post
I saw one on CL a while back. I found that Amazon was a 'badge' name for National machines.

That makes more sense. I never knew that.

~ C
Old 07-25-2020, 11:28 AM

I found the information about National and thought Aha! But the machine was supposedly a hand model only, and this is a treadle, and the owner says that Singer is etched into the underside of the bed. Since that Amazon was an inexpensive machine in the first place it is strange that someone might put that gold paint on an old Singer. The owner is looking to see if there is a serial number. I don’t have the pictures of the machine, it is on the Facebook merchandise pages for the Portland, Oregon area, and Hillsboro, Oregon particularly.
Old 07-25-2020, 11:30 AM

Default Amazon branded antique machine

I found the information about National and thought Aha! But the machine was supposedly a hand model only, and this is a treadle, and the owner says that Singer is etched into the underside of the bed. Since that Amazon was an inexpensive machine in the first place it is strange that someone might put that gold paint on an old Singer. The owner is looking to see if there is a serial number. I don’t have the pictures of the machine, it is on the Facebook merchandise pages for the Portland, Oregon area, and Hillsboro, Oregon particularly.
Old 07-25-2020, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Reginaromsey View Post
I found it earlier today, while I was at work, but can't find it now. I've tried a variety of search terms. Yes, some of the Eldredge machines are hand cranks like those at Eldredge/National hand crank However, if you look at national hand crank https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...4-img_1222.jpg closely, you will see that there are holes for a treadle belt. I also found https://www.thriftyfun.com/Dating-an...g-Machine.html I'm not sure how Singer got etched in the bottom. I wanted to see the ad again to check the how the presser foot was attached.

Not affiliated with off-site link(s)

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 07-25-2020 at 06:01 PM.
Old 07-26-2020, 06:10 PM

yea , never seen "Singer"etched in.
Old 07-27-2020, 07:20 AM

But the machine was supposedly a hand model only, and this is a treadle
It’s been my experience that all of these Singer type machines that have the outboard motor attachment boss are capable of being powered all three ways, including treadle and hand crank, with the spoked hand wheel.
Some of my older machines can’t be used with the motor or utilize the hand crank as the piller mounted bolt is not on the machine. I haven’t seen or noticed a hand wheel without the belt pully/drive band channel incorporated.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-27-2020 at 05:28 PM. Reason: fix quote formatting