Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Help me pick a new machine! >

Help me pick a new machine!

Help me pick a new machine!

Old 07-26-2020, 12:53 PM

Default Help me pick a new machine!

Dear all,

I am new to this board but not new to sewing..

I have been sewing on a kenmore machine since 1985(!) and feel like it’s time for an upgrade.

I plan to mostly make garments but the occasional quilt or home decoration.

The machines have changed so much since 1985 as you can imagine,

right now I have been trying to decide between a PFAFF quilt expression 720 or a Husqvarna sapphire (not sure of the model number)

I did have quite the sticker shock when I saw how much these things cost now…

I like the IDT function with the Pfaff but the husqvarna is half the price..

Any and all opinions are welcome

Thankyou in advance!
Old 07-27-2020, 03:01 AM

Unfortunately, I am not familiar with either machine but just want to welcome you to the QB. I would be sure to test drive them especially for the investment. Good luck.
Old 07-27-2020, 03:18 AM

After having a nightmare experience with the service end of the new ownership of Husqvarna Viking I would stear clear of them. I have 3 and love them, but servicing is expensive. I now have Babylocks, an Aria and a Katherine and just love them both. Try out many machines to find the one that fits you. Telling someone which sewing machine to get is like recommending what kind of underwear to get. And buy one up from what you think you want because in 6 months you will want something better.
Old 07-27-2020, 03:35 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from Michigan!
Old 07-27-2020, 04:03 AM

I have been sewing forever and then some. I used to be a Pfaffer, but in the early 2000's, Pfaff, Viking, and Singer all got bought up and became SVP and the machines went downhill in quality. I bought a top of the line Pfaff 2170 in 2007, and in 5 years I went thru 3 mother boards, parts were no longer available and sadily for me, the machine is dead. I switched to Bernina and I'm very happy with the brand & customer service. I have the B770, which is amazing, and Activa 230 which is my travel machine. I also have the 830, but not as happy with that one and would not recommend it. The only other brand that I would recommend is Babylock. They are the same as brother, but more high end. Spend some time with at a dealership, if you can, and do some serious test drives. Dealers are making some amazing deals right now because of COVID. It can be harder to find a basic machine, the better prices are on the higher end machines. Get a machine that you can grow into and have fun with.
BTW, I had a basic Kenmore that I received for a graduation present and I sewed on it for about 10 years, it was a good little machine.
Old 07-27-2020, 04:44 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from Ontario, Canada. First set yourself a budget on what you can afford. All the major brands are good but I am a Bernina girl so I cannot speak on others. Make a list of your must have features, the top of my list for garment sewing would be a buttonhole maker that is easy to use and looks great. If you plan on quilting, the distance the needle is from the motor is critical. The bigger then space to stuff a quilt through the better.
Old 07-27-2020, 04:56 AM
Power Poster

The only thing I know about Pfaff is my SIL has one and cannot find service in her area. She loves it but can't use any of the features that need to be repaired or replaced.
I only have Berninas and a shop that I love whenever I need them.
Old 07-27-2020, 05:00 AM

Welcome from Southern Indiana! I'm not familiar with either of those machines, so am no help, sorry...however, I'm sure you will get the info you need, because all of the members are so-o-o-o helpful, and knowledgeable! Welcome!
Old 07-27-2020, 05:24 AM

One thing I would say that is very important in your decision is that you have good service in the event you should need it. The store where I got my Babylocks is wonderful, will answer any questions over the phone and has very reliable service and at a good price, yearly maintenance is at no cost during the first year.
Old 07-27-2020, 05:37 AM
Power Poster

I love all my Brother machines.