Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Tween quilt for our grand daughter >

Tween quilt for our grand daughter

Tween quilt for our grand daughter

Old 07-27-2020, 05:56 AM

Default Tween quilt for our grand daughter

Our grand daughter became a "tween", according to her, when she turned 11. She was anxious to start middle school last year and choose her own electives, like orchestra and French. She is a remarkable young lady in all ways: skipping a grade, managing her Type 1 diabetes, serious in her study of ballet, and a great role model to her 7 yr. old brother. When I saw this quilt kit in my local shop it just spoke her name. (I changed the last adjective to include her name in the quilt I made.) I backed it in silver Minkee. The pattern is Good Vibes Alley by Shayla Wolf. IMHO it would be a great quilt for any tween/teen during those formative years when so many young adults question their value or identity.
resized-emilias-quilt.jpg
Old 07-27-2020, 05:59 AM

That is awesome! I’m sure she’ll love it.
Old 07-27-2020, 06:08 AM

This is perfect! I have a friend who is a grand-mother. Every time her daughter posts on Facebook a picture of the grand-daughter, the "other" grand-mom always says Oh how pretty you are. My friend always says Of how clever (or unique, etc) you are. We need to reinforce that looks aren't everything.
Old 07-27-2020, 06:19 AM

How do you get the border fabric? It's wonderful.
Old 07-27-2020, 06:25 AM

Wow! this quilt does say it all to a tween! You chose wisely and this should provide her great comfort in the sometimes difficult days of being a tween. They grow up way to quickly! Thanks for sharing this glorious quilt.
Old 07-27-2020, 06:43 AM

This quilt is marvelous! I don’t know how the lettering was accomplished but it’s just awesome!
Old 07-27-2020, 07:10 AM

Thank you for your kind responses. To answer a few questions: I did a search of Good Vibes fabric and found some including the dark border fabric at Fat Quarter Shop here: https://www.fatquartershop.com/good-...-vibes-yardage

Each of the letters involved cutting two pieces: a dark shadow and a colored letter. They were fused together with Heat and Bond Lite and then appliqued with a buttonhole stitch. Once ea. individual row was completed without the wording, I found the center to first place the gray letter and then spaced the other letters in ea. word approx. 1/2" apart. Using Wonder Clips, I rolled the individual rows from ea. end to secure and create easier mobility under the throat of the machine in order to applique. The applique was easy, it was the tracing and cutting out that was more time consuming.
Old 07-27-2020, 07:26 AM
Power Poster

Outstanding!👏🏻
Old 07-27-2020, 07:37 AM

I love this quilt! Thanks for posting.
Old 07-27-2020, 12:51 PM
Power Poster

A great quilt.