Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Hello, I’m Mike, >

Hello, I’m Mike,

Hello, I’m Mike,

Old 07-19-2020, 07:12 AM

Hey Michael , you and I would be great friends if we were closer. I don't ride Harely's but I have a few tiddler Hondas I play with sometimes. My GF and I go to folklife festivals and demo hand cranks that I keep up. We judge our day by now many people we can get to sue them. Including the " I don't like to sew" folks who never had the control of a HC. I have a few transverse machines, lots of Vibrating shuttles and round bobbins of all eras. I play tuba in a local railroad band. I built a balalaika from a kit
I grew up farming and go to tractor shows. I have a Pfaff I powered from a small (60 lbs) steam engine. I have done digs and made holders from leather for my trowels. Play an Ovation guitar.

Our Kansas Historical museum opens up for kids on Kansas day. It is a wonderful madhouses. Old timey demos and current ones. Our had cranks are often near quilters. 1,400 kids in 5 hours whew. some kids skip, of course, but others circle back 3 times.

Oh yea, I ride pennyfarthings for demos sometimes and have been known to knit steel.

GF makes the garb.

This morning on NPR there was as story about trying recipies from a 1500 B.C,E. tablet. Do you fly kites too?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	cm knight and dragon.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	546.1 KB
ID:	626623   Click image for larger version

Name:	merry_cranks KS day 2018.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	626625   Click image for larger version

Name:	merry toots.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	314.7 KB
ID:	626626   Click image for larger version

Name:	vest and hat cwf and Iris pf   53  b.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	626627  
Old 07-19-2020, 08:35 AM

I had a Honda 305 Dream back in collage. I grew up with Harleys, not owning, just all the military guys rode them. Dad rode one back when I was born in San Antonio, he was in the AP at the time.

I’ve been putzing around with my 1929 99 this morning. It’s got the knee control built into the coffin case, the knee bar, power cord and oil can store in the top. No reverse on this one.

I’m planning on taking some Quilting classes at the local yarn store. I could certainly stand to learn more about technique, sitting on all these cool machines it’s a good idea to network with those that appreciate them. Around here, huge quilting culture, the Feather Weight is highly regarded. I’m looking at my 3 301s trying to figure out if I could actually part with even one of them.

My problem is any on these old singers when I sit down to use them I think how great they are, smooth and powerful and they are gettin harder and harder to find. Most are not interested in the transverse or vibrating shuttle, but they are such great examples of early sewing machines.

The Wertheim for instance what an amazing machine.

Old 07-19-2020, 11:16 AM

I rode two 160 dreams that I didn't own and used a BMW R60 in college a bit. I have a 99 with the knee bar, but some of the wiring is messed up and I haven't tinkered with it yet.

If you ever get to look under a Free rotoscillo, it's worth some time. Not all have the ball bearings.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	rotoscillo bearings b good Free.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	626635  
Old 07-19-2020, 01:14 PM

Never seen one, I’ll keep my eyes open. I found a youtube video that showed the ball ballbearing assembly. I need to see one to figure it out.

Been running the old 301 for the last couple of hours. I’ve got a Queen sized Quilt I started a couple years back, I think I can find it. Last couple of years I’ve been focused on playing and building basses and various other instruments. Started working my way through Chan Chan by the Buena Vista Social Club, a little out of my wheel house. It’s a cool tune, I’ve got some of it figured out.

In 2018 I spent a week up in Nashville at Victor Wootens Bass Camp, meet two of his brothers and spent a lot of time with Chuck Rainey. If you’ve never heard of these guys check them out. Chuck has recorded over 12,000 records, a lot of Motown and Jazz. It’s the inspiration that got me working harder on my music skills.

I haven’t quite figured out how to post pictures here. Links to my Flicker account are not allowed. I’ll figure it out eventually. This forum is not quite as intuitive as others I use, different platform.
Old 07-20-2020, 05:57 AM

The forums here changed early this year, it's taking a bit to get people up and going again. The help section takes most people through pictures pretty well, some of us are still having problems with some devices or issues.
https://www.quiltingboard.com/qb-help-center-f27/

My problems are mostly with file size plus I have a pretty well locked down system in terms of security, I have an old digital camera and not a smart phone, I go to this site to reduce my pictures because it is quick, easy, I just use their defaults and it doesn't set off my security settings.
https://www.reduceimages.com/

We are pretty sure that the 5 mb limit is for all possible attachments and it is best to be under 1.
Old 07-20-2020, 12:49 PM

Thanks for the links, management contacted me too, linking the process. I’ll figure it out.
Old 07-20-2020, 03:22 PM
Power Poster

Welcome to the QB and be sure to give us some show and tell.
Old 07-21-2020, 06:51 AM

Hi Mike and welcome to the board from NE Ohio. 🙋‍♀️
Old 07-21-2020, 07:13 AM

It’ll pretty much have to be “tell” until I get my photos formatted and loaded.

”o) I’m working on that.

Mom said I’ve been making stuff and getting into things since I was an infant. She never figured out how I was getting out of my crib at the age of 2, but sure as sunrise, I was on the loose every morning when she got up. Doing stuff. She was in her early 20s at that time. She got a kick out of being the first item at the Officers Wive’s Club that meet every month, “OK Leanna tell us what Mike did this month.”

Dad was stationed in Norfolk England back then. One day I got loose. We lived on a Lords property, in a small hamlet that he had for his field and house staff. Dad must not of latched the door and when mom woke up I was AWOL. Being next to the pig stalls she was freaking out a bit. She knew about pigs from growing up on Grandpa’s farm. The whole town was searching for me. About 4 hours later a Bentley Limousine pulled up to the stone house we lived in. The butler opened up the back door and I jumped out with mud up to the knees of my footed pajamas. Apparently I had breakfast and a good time. Those in the owners estate figured out I was a Yank and knew who I belonged too.

As I grew up it got worse. My poor mother. I was never evil, or crossed the line of the law, mostly. I was probably alcoholic by the time I reached my late twenties but I figured it out and have been straight and sober since 1994, with no pain or lingering desires. I have never stopped making stuff, or modifying things. I gave her way too many sleepless nights. I lived my life, and in some ways still do, like I’m immortal. I believe my soul is. Mom had a great sense of humor, when she passed two years ago it was on my birthday. All those birthdays I didn’t call her, Mother’s Day cards I didn’t send. She knows at least once a year I’ll think of her, on my birthday, she brought me into this world and she left it on the same day.

When ever I showed her the new thing I learned and made she took it. Her house is still filled with my firsts and every water color painting I’ve ever done.

When we came back from England in 1955/56 I was around 4. This was the first time I meet my family, Grandma and Grandpa, my 4 aunts and uncle. We were all at Aunt Donna’s home. We’re kitchen sitters, eventually no matter what’s going on we all wind up sitting in the kitchen. Not me, not then. Aunt Donna had a Grandfather clock in the living room, I tried to start it, I was was fascinated. I could see the gears, weights and pendulum, of course I had no idea what those parts were back then. It didn’t matter, I could see all the stuff and when I opened the cabinet I had access to the parts. I know how it was supposed to work because mom had a cuckoo clock, I knew about the weights and the pendulum, again not the names but the stuff that made it work. I pulled the chain/weights and they would fall back, with the cuckoo clock they didn’t. You pull the chain, the weights lifted and stayed, swing the pendulum and they, ever so slowly, dropped to the bottom. I pulled a foot stool over to the clock and opened up the front and watched what was going on when I lifted the weights. Nothing happened, but the weights didn’t hang, they fell back to the bottom. I noticed that at one of the gears a small metal flap like thing was just laying flat, it was very loose. I lifted it up and pulled the weight again and the gear would be stopped by it. I played around with the amount of pressure I applied to the thing and with adjusting the tension the gear would slip past the bit of metal and catch again. If I got the tension of the metal flap thing right the clock would work.

I ran into the kitchen and asked Aunt Donna if I could fix her Clock. Aunt Donna was one of those that felt children could do no wrong and said sure Honey, I asked if I could have a match book, once I explained I just needed the cover, she tore it off and gave it to me. It took about 5 minutes to get the spring action right by folding it in different ways. Once I did. The clock worked. I ran back into the kitchen all proud of myself and told the family I got it working. They all followed me into the living room. At my high school graduation party Aunt Donna told me that clock worked for 3 years.
Old 07-30-2020, 08:13 PM

Welcome from Indiana!