Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
Stay Stitch Conversation >

Stay Stitch Conversation

Stay Stitch Conversation

Old 07-23-2020, 09:13 AM
Power Poster

I usually stay stitch the perimeter of a quilt top but I don’t stay stitch blocks. I lengthen my stitch to stay stitch because too many stitches per inch can stretch the edge.
Old 07-28-2020, 03:57 AM

What stitch length do you use to stay stitch? When stitching over just one layer of fabric (not the sandwich, as in stay stitching the quilt block or top), does the material pucker under your foot?
Old 07-28-2020, 06:58 AM

I have had mine pucker, so I lengthened the stitch back to the 2.2 or 2.5. Too small of a stitch on a single layer of fabric will pucker on most sewing machines. It's okay when it hits a double or more layer but not on that single layer for me. I sew on two Brother machines, an inexpensive one from Wal Mart and an older embroidery one. Both of them do the puckering even though the embroidery/sewing is supposed to be able to sense the fabric thickness and adjust for it.
Old 07-28-2020, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by LAF2019 View Post
What stitch length do you use to stay stitch? When stitching over just one layer of fabric (not the sandwich, as in stay stitching the quilt block or top), does the material pucker under your foot?

I stitch at 2.0 for stay-stitching. You will see a slight pucker. Press the strips after stitching and they lay flat.

For regular piecing i use 2.5 stitch length.
Old 07-30-2020, 07:37 AM

Do you do every block, or just the quilt top edge? Doesn't it add bulk to the seams?

~ C
Old 07-30-2020, 07:47 AM

I just do it on the outer edge, especially if there are a lot of narrow seams. If I have to piece a long border, I'll typically reinforce just an inch or so either side of the seam, but I really prefer to use full length cuts when I can.

When I'm piecing, I'm putting the blocks together fast enough that the seams are interlocking and reinforcing each other, plus the size of the pieces are small so there isn't a lot of drag on them.

My concern is in folding/unfolding and spreading out the top for viewing or measuring or whatever until the top is quilted down, which in my case can be years before it happens. If I'm on a deadline and it's going directly from the machine to the long arm, I may or may not reinforce the edge. I still will if there are seams every 2" or less. I might with 6" seams, but I don't typically bother to do straight grain fabric.
Old 07-30-2020, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
Do you do every block, or just the quilt top edge? Doesn't it add bulk to the seams?

~ C
I only stitch the border pieces and around the quilt edges.
Old 07-31-2020, 02:11 AM

I am interested in this topic and saw that it is a continuation. I can't find the first part, however. Would someone point me in the right direction, please? These types of posts are so helpful. Thank you.
Old 07-31-2020, 03:23 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sailorwoman View Post
I am interested in this topic and saw that it is a continuation. I can't find the first part, however. Would someone point me in the right direction, please? These types of posts are so helpful. Thank you.
It was a comment on another thread Squaring Up When It Counts
Old 07-31-2020, 10:41 AM

Thank you, QuiltnNan.