Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Show "Perfection" >

Quilting Show "Perfection"

Quilting Show "Perfection"

Old 08-02-2020, 08:26 AM

I share many of the same dislikes about Eleanor's vocal quality and the fabric over the shoulder -- but look at how we all instantly know who we are talking about and something about her! Once I shift modes, I enjoy my video time with her and have learned a lot over the decades as well as gotten some good tools as well as tips.

Saturday morning here is when we have our quilt shows on the local PBS, I missed most of them this week but I did get most of Eleanor's which is the last of the block. She was doing Bridal Bouquet, she showed the technique I've used in strip piecing for years, which is go ahead and sew off the set-in edge, then just undo a couple of stitches.

I recently did some LeMoyne stars for the set-in practice and decided to use the snazzy thread cutter on my modern machine and stop at the seam allowance. I love the thread cutter and realize now a lot of what I disliked about partial-seams was just the 6" tails of thread.
Old 08-02-2020, 09:46 AM
Power Poster

Does anyone here follow #msqcshowandtell on Instagram? Now those are the quilts I want to see in a quilt show for the most part. Sure the most perfect quilt will win the award but unrealistic for me to make.
Old 08-04-2020, 07:01 PM

I don't make bed sized quilts anymore but I do remember trying to baste one on my living room floor because I didn't have a pingpong table, (or even a dining table), at the time. I learned a lot in those days when there weren't a lot of gadgets, you could get a decent machine for under $100, there was no such thing as "quilting fabric," and no quilting videos to show you how you're doing everything wrong.

I watch the quilting shows on tv from time to time. It's obvious they're pushing products but I don't begrudge them the opportunity to make some cash. What I do worry about is newbies getting turned off of quilting because of the cost, and the perception some might get that you have to have all that expensive stuff to get started. I've had a lot of people ask me how to quilt and I make them a little kit and teach them how to hand piece. It's a great way to get started at very little cost. That's how my grandmother got me started. A box of scraps, a few cardboard templates, and a needle and thread.
Old 08-05-2020, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by gillyo View Post
I don't make bed sized quilts anymore but I do remember trying to baste one on my living room floor because I didn't have a pingpong table, (or even a dining table), at the time. I learned a lot in those days when there weren't a lot of gadgets, you could get a decent machine for under $100, there was no such thing as "quilting fabric," and no quilting videos to show you how you're doing everything wrong.

I watch the quilting shows on tv from time to time. It's obvious they're pushing products but I don't begrudge them the opportunity to make some cash. What I do worry about is newbies getting turned off of quilting because of the cost, and the perception some might get that you have to have all that expensive stuff to get started. I've had a lot of people ask me how to quilt and I make them a little kit and teach them how to hand piece. It's a great way to get started at very little cost. That's how my grandmother got me started. A box of scraps, a few cardboard templates, and a needle and thread.
Exactly...well said.

~ C
Old 08-05-2020, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by JanieW View Post
It drives me nuts to watch Eleanor Burns vidéos where she throws her scraps on the floor. Somebody had to clean that up.
My husband tapes the Eleanor Burns shows for me to watch and usually ends up watching them with me. His favorite part of her shows is when she throws scaps over her shoulder. He always laughs with comments: "There goes another one." or "That was a big one.", etc.

My take on these shows is that they plant the seed of how to do something in your head. Sometimes I follow their suggestions and sometimes after mulling it over for a while I come up with a better/easier way for ME to do something. If nothing else, they challenge me to at least TRY something I may not have otherwise.