2020 Fabric Moratorium

Old 08-09-2020, 08:00 AM

Glad to have helped any guilt you were dealing with, Rob Jordan Fabric physical shop is still currently closed, but we are a month away from the trip.

My Tuesday group is making a comfort quilt, I'd rather not have that as the reason for using yardage but it is a couple of yards out of the stash. Three of the ladies have husbands reaching towards the end of life stage, it's been extra hard getting in the scheduled appointments with the Covid restrictions, much less the emergency visits. The first "off white" was "too beige" but I said I didn't want any pieces back. The current just slightly buttery yellow cream is a bit easier to work with, and again, I don't want any back. Gave out enough for everyone to easily make 8 blocks (plus some not so easy), but we only need 4 completed each. So a couple yards of off white, and we don't know what for the back yet. Our friend's husband had another heart valve surgery last week and came out of it well, but it is time to get together and quilt.

Old 08-09-2020, 08:52 AM

I realized 2 things yesterday
1) I really am going back to school and
2) if Im wearing a mask all day (as opposed to just running into a store briefly) then I should definetly be washing them daily...like underwear.

I'm spending a chunk of today mask making. Fun part is I'm a science teacher and got a cute FQ of "girl scientist" a while ago but never had anything to do with it. I got 6 masks out of the FQ so I'll offer the extras to my friends in the dept.
I like using old T-shirt for the inner lining. Very soft on my face.
Note - I was not one of those people churning out masks when the pandemic first hit. I get no joy from mask making - but I do get joy from masks MADE. Wearing something that is pretty makes me happy.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-09-2020 at 04:28 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 08-09-2020, 10:17 AM

Thanks for your kindness everyone. Normally I like seeing the beautiful bikes. Actually I still do but it's tinged with a reminder of what's going on currently. The girl scientist fabric is perfect for a science teacher Rff1010. There was no joy for me making masks either. It was more like helping control something during the uncontrollable first weeks that helped.
Old 08-09-2020, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Rff1010 View Post
I realized 2 things yesterday
1) I really am going back to school and
2) if Im wearing a mask all day (as opposed to just running into a store briefly) then I should definetly be washing them daily...like underwear.

I'm spending a chunk of today mask making. Fun part is I'm a science teacher and got a cute FQ of "girl scientist" a while ago but never had anything to do with it. I got 6 masks out of the FQ so I'll offer the extras to my friends in the dept.
I like using old T-shirt for the inner lining. Very soft on my face.
Note - I was not one of those people churning out masks when the pandemic first hit. I get no joy from mask making - but I do get joy from masks MADE. Wearing something that is pretty makes me happy.
I'm a retired science teacher. When I took college physics in 1974-75, I was the only girl in the class. I'm glad things have changed! I love chemistry & physics, & before Covid hit I found a FQ of chemistry fabric. I haven't used it yet, I keep petting it & calling it "my precious!"

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-09-2020 at 04:28 PM.
Old 08-09-2020, 04:59 PM

Yeah and three cheers for female scientists. My oldest granddaughter is all about chemistry and wants to seek a degree in chemical engineering. I should make her a chemistry mask! Her school has already started online last week and may go "in class" but masked in September (Indiana). I saw her last week-end for just a minute when I went to visit. She lives four hours away. It just made my heart sing a little to see my work being used buy my #1 granddaughter. One does not always know what pleases a 16 year old.

Iceblossom, what a nice treat for your birthday. A trip and bonus stops for fabric!

Last edited by WMUTeach; 08-09-2020 at 05:08 PM.
Old 08-10-2020, 04:32 PM
Power Poster

Love to hear all the conversations...RE:Female scientists. 10yo GD has aspirations to be an astronaut. Her mom is a Chemistry major from USNaval Academy.

Managed to get masks made for #1GS headed off to college this week. Poof a yard of fabric out the door! Now for the kids who ride the school bus in our district.
Old 08-10-2020, 07:48 PM

I finished sorting the 2 paper grocery bags of quilter’s fabric that was part of a donation to my church quilting group. My friends did a great job of filling my bags from the donation. There were 70 FQs, 24 fat eighths (some I added when I was trimming the fabric), about 80 10” squares (cut by me from donation), along with other sizes I trimmed of squares, strips, and rectangles which I didn’t record. I usually get 6” of fabric or less from my group because they don’t like sewing with smaller pieces so it was extra fun sorting these fabrics.

I didn’t see the original donation but I know there were several more bags given to our group besides the 2 I brought home.

I better get busy and finish a few more tops. Lol!

Last edited by retiredteacher09; 08-10-2020 at 07:52 PM.
Old 08-11-2020, 03:56 AM

K & I started laying out the random blocks I've made from the orange & white pieces her daughter sent. Six blocks I made from floral prints also went with the fabric so were included to fill out the size. I trimmed them & K sewed them. We didn't finish, but it's starting to take shape. This will keep the orange & white out of stash, & reduce my florals by a little bit.
Old 08-12-2020, 03:16 AM

I have to admit, I get some satisfaction from the idea that Conchalea's time in house-selling limbo is over and she once again has access to her own stash and stuff

Here it is, year mostly over and I still haven't done hardly anything I planned to do. Still telling myself there is always next year, that fabric isn't going to disappear unless I make that happen, and sometimes things just take as long as they take. These next couple of days I'll be working on a UFO project for another person (that is, it isn't my UFO and I will return a finished top). No stash usage but it does keep me busy.
Old 08-12-2020, 04:58 AM
Power Poster

Conchalea and her friend are getting them out the door...wonderful. What fun to have someone to work with. Ice, I sometimes don't think I'm getting anything done either...then I stop and figure how many masks I've made and need to make some for kids going back to school. In between I've been hopscotching around a couple of projects...seems my mind likes to hopscotch, too!