Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Favourite sandwiches >

Favourite sandwiches

Favourite sandwiches

Old 08-10-2020, 09:29 AM
Power Poster

Default Favourite sandwiches

I am having a meatloaf sandwich for lunch. It got me thinking of what some of my unusual but tasty sandwiches I like. I enjoy a toasted sardine, a beef tongue sliced thin, bologna and pickle spread, roasted pepper sandwich....what are some of yours?
Old 08-10-2020, 10:01 AM

Egg mayonnaise,
Brie and grape,
Hummus and salad,
Cheese and onion,
Toasted cheese,
Welsh rarebit (open)
Egg salad,
Avocado, tomato and lettuce,
Tomato and cucumber,
Banana,
and, just butter and jam, as a real comfort when nothing else will do.
Old 08-10-2020, 10:17 AM

I love sandwiches but don't get much bread these days... bologna and pickle spread would be very much like Olive Loaf. a personal fav most people groan at. My husband can make the most amazing grilled sandwiches full of butter and other things, I usually go for toasted versus grilled.

Reuben sandwich open faced -- half the bread! Love rye bread in general, if I can get it as a toast option I like it with Orange Marmalade. Another rye classic, braunschweiger (liverwurst with bacon) on dark rye with crisp green lettuce and red onion slices.

We had some left over keto buns recently and some smoked salmon along with a jar of capers and an onion in the fridge... also would have been nice on rye bread.

Weird things that make sense -- salmon sandwiches from canned salmon (made like tuna salad), better with about half hard boiled eggs, lots of green onion tops.

Our local bakery, Franz has a Keto bread and now buns that is reasonable for us to have. Prior to that, their white whole wheat was my best choice. Only problem is it doesn't toast at all well, turns hard and crisp more like a cracker. It grills nicely though, either using mayo (on the outside to help toasting -- try it, it works) or butter/oil.

Of the things I miss most in my new way of eating is everything bagels. The 1/4 bagel I'm allowed only makes me want more, I'm better without.

Old 08-10-2020, 11:22 AM

Pimento cheese with a big ol' slice of homegrown tomato.
Old 08-10-2020, 12:39 PM

Oh man, pimento cheese -- that's practically non-existent in my part of the world...
Old 08-10-2020, 03:38 PM

one of my favorites as a child was a homemade "bread and butter Pickle" sandwich....munny on home made bread and my mom's bread and butter pickles were the best.

I also like cold left over roast beef sandwiches with plain old ketchup and dill pickles.
grilled ham and cheese with mustard
egg salad on rye or marble rye
turkey, avocado, fresh tomato with miracle whip
peanut butter and banana toast is a go to
bumsters made with spam! grind spam, cheese, a little onion, and a dab of mustard together, spread open faced on a bun half, place under the broiler..until bubbly
sliced cucumbers go great on a lot of sandwiches for a little crunch.
I have been trying to cut out bread but will eat 7 grain bread when I can find it. Lately been using whole wheat or multigrain English muffins as bread...hard now that I am staying out of grocery stores as much as possible.
Old 08-10-2020, 03:46 PM
Power Poster

I put cheese on bread with any meat, wrap with foil and put in air fryer. Wonderful melty toasted sandwich. I have peanut butter and jelly with a glass of milk for supper many times.
Old 08-10-2020, 04:28 PM

Cheese plain or with onion or ham or summer sausage - toasted or plain
Toasted tomato - open face
salmon with dill pickles
egg salad (made with cottage cheese) with bread and butter pickles - on plain rice cakes
cottage cheese with green onion and black pepper and celery salt on plain rice cakes with bread and butter pickles
Ham Salad
Prefer rye bread
A lady at my church used to make triple decker fancy sandwiches with a cheddar cheese, egg salad, ham salad filling - so awesome! And I can't find a recipe for the cheese filling
Old 08-10-2020, 06:01 PM

Question for charley26 - you had both "egg mayonnaise" and "egg salad" on your list of favorite sandwiches. I thought egg mayonnaise was the English name for egg salad. Can you tell me please what each one is? Thanks!!!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-11-2020 at 03:29 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 08-10-2020, 07:13 PM

Bacon and tomato (summertime tomatoes)
Pineapple and cheddar cheese

Daffy