Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Favourite sandwiches >

Favourite sandwiches

Favourite sandwiches

Old 08-11-2020, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by mrs. fitz View Post
Question for charley26 - you had both "egg mayonnaise" and "egg salad" on your list of favorite sandwiches. I thought egg mayonnaise was the English name for egg salad. Can you tell me please what each one is? Thanks!!!
Egg mayonnaise sandwich - some hard boiled eggs, finely chopped up with some chives, salt, pepper and mayonnaise to mix together, and then added between 2 slices of bread, or into a roll etc. Sometimes I add a finely chopped spring onion if the chives in the garden are not at their best. The chopped egg should not be too smashed up - there should be identifiable pieces of egg visible!

Egg salad sandwich - a sliced hard boiled egg, on some lettuce, tomato, cucumber, and a little spring onion, with a little mayonnaise, between 2 slices of fresh bread, or a fresh roll. There is a 'thing' that you place an egg on and press the other part, and you get perfect slices of egg.
Yummy.
Old 08-11-2020, 12:24 PM

Avocado, tomato, mushroom and muenster (or provolone) with mayo - nice light sandwich especially on hot days!
Old 08-11-2020, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
slice of fresh garden beefsteak tomato, Hellman's mayo, dash of salt on white bread. This is the only way I like to eat white bread.
Yes! The only thing I do different is add some black pepper. Yum!

Rob
Old 08-11-2020, 06:37 PM

All time favorite....white bread, mayo, sprinkle of salt and lettuce. Yup...just a lettuce sandwich!
Old 08-12-2020, 04:59 AM
Power Poster

I love sandwiches but don't seem to eat them much.
Grilled cheese is my fav followed by BLT but so many others!

There's a place in Cleveland that makes Reubens that rival anything in NYC. We will drive up there just for a Reuben.It's basically a hole in the wall that is always mobbed. Haven't been lately of course but they are fabulous.
Old 08-12-2020, 07:08 AM
Power Poster

Whole wheat toast (bakery type bread), butter, mayo, lettuce, tomato, bacon, and onion sandwiches.- we love them - even if they are fiddlyto make and messy to eat! We call them BLOTs.
Old 08-12-2020, 08:03 AM
Power Poster

I must be the only person who does not like whole wheat bread. The taste is terrible to me. I like sourdough, French, or plain white bread. I grew up eating homemade bread, store bread was considered not fit to eat. My grandmother called it full of junk that would make you puny. I was married before I bought a loaf of bread at the store and I was afraid to eat it but my husband liked it. I made and still make most of our bread. Now many bakeries have the quality bread with no added junk to make you puny. LOL
Old 08-12-2020, 12:25 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I must be the only person who does not like whole wheat bread. The taste is terrible to me. I like sourdough, French, or plain white bread. I grew up eating homemade bread, store bread was considered not fit to eat. My grandmother called it full of junk that would make you puny. I was married before I bought a loaf of bread at the store and I was afraid to eat it but my husband liked it. I made and still make most of our bread. Now many bakeries have the quality bread with no added junk to make you puny. LOL
I am with you. I also don't like whole wheat pasta. I like lots of sandwiches but I am particular about some things. I like creamy peanut butter (not the healthy kind) on soft fresh white bread like Wonder bread, and lately with my daughter in law's homemade raspberry jam. I like tuna but with just a hint of mayo, also on soft fresh white bread. I like a grilled veggie panini if there is no aioli or mayo or anything slippery on it. I like a grilled cheese sandwich with nothing on it but the butter to grill it. I don't like ciabatta rolls - too hard. I don't like any meats I have to wrestle with to take a bite. I only like dijon mustard sparingly. Never put mayo on a sandwich. I have told my family never to get me a bread maker because soon enough I would be on my 600 pound life and someone would be taking a wall out of the house.
Old 08-12-2020, 03:24 PM

My mom used to tell me that during the depression, she would make herself a simple, tomato sandwich. Onion sandwiches too.

~ C
Old 08-18-2020, 07:13 AM

Lobster roll
Hot dog on grilled bun
Grilled ham and swiss on rye
BLT
Fresh tomato with mayo
Rueben
Fried fish
Cuban
Egg salad
Grilled burger with swiss, sautéed onions & mushrooms