Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Judy Niemeyer pattern help >

Judy Niemeyer pattern help

Judy Niemeyer pattern help

Old 08-20-2020, 03:37 AM

Default Judy Niemeyer pattern help

Hi All,
I posted the below message yesterday in this thread Judy Niemeyer Quiltworx patterns but haven't seen it pop up under 'new posts' since then.I recently was gifted a complete kit for Judy's (original) Prairie Star quilt. After some confusion on whether there were corrections to this pattern (not!), I'm finally ready to continue forward with this project. My issue is the next set of cutting instructions. It's for all of the background pieces, so lots of pieces in varying shapes. The pattern lists 3.25 yds of fabric needed and that's what I have on hand. However, if I calculate out the various number of WOF strips to cut to get to the needed pieces, I'm way off on needed fabric. If I just calculate total square inches of fabric needed, I'm peachy!

Bottom line..my question to those of you who have done things Judy's way with using her templates, etc., how did you go about doing the gross cutting of strips/pieces??

My brain is hurting! TIA for any help you can offer.
Old 08-20-2020, 03:45 AM

I did the Prairie Star a couple of years ago ... my first, and so far only, JM pattern. I tried to follow the directions as much as possible, since it was my first one. Even including all the plastic bags! Seemed like there was quite a bit of overage -- like sometimes you cut a WOF strip and only use half of it. So I'm guessing you'll be fine if you have the yardage that the pattern lists.
Good luck!
Old 08-20-2020, 05:19 AM

I made the Hawaiian Star which is about the same as the Prairie Star.
I followed her cutting directions exactly. I had some fabric left over, but not a lot.
Old 08-20-2020, 07:30 AM

Lucky for me a local quilt shop has a monthly PPing club so I've done a few JN patterns. Our group leader is very experienced with her patterns and she really emphasized following the cutting pattern as closely as possible. She also recommends reading the pattern carefully several times before starting a new project.

That being said, there are times when you just need to "wing it" Take a look at the cutting templates and compare them to the pieces they will be sewn in. There's usually a few where you can reduce your cutting to save on fabric. Also start cutting with the biggest/most important pieces in case you do have to do some creative cutting. I do recommend using the plastic bags for labeling and storing all the pieces...for me it does make a difference...ask me how I know! All the prep work can be very time consuming but in the (for me) it makes the whole project go smoother and less confusing.

Couple other tips. Go to the Quitlworx web site to see if there are corrections to the patterns. http://www.quiltworx.com/corrections/. Don't be afraid to ask questions here on the QB, and pictures can be really helpful. Lastly, if you are on Facebook, there is a Quiltworks group that has certified instructors that monitor the threads for questions, I've seen Judy and Judel post there.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!
Old 08-20-2020, 10:08 AM

I did go to the quiltworx website over a week ago to look for corrections. Hmmm. There were several pages of them. Dutifully printed them all out and placed them in the instruction booklet at appropriate spots. Wasn't until I got to the first given section that I discovered all the corrections I had printed out were for the 2015 version - not the 2005 version I have! Sent email to quiltworx. Eventually got the message there were no corrections to the pattern I had. Phew!

At the moment I almost think I want a CAD program, lol, to figure out how to lay out these template pieces. Instead of cutting multiple layers for these pieces I think I might just draw everything out on my single piece of fabric just so I can continue to move forward with this.

I agree the prep work is tedious and time consuming but having read the messages in the original thread I linked, I thought it wise to do all of it. I'm not using the baggies just because most would have to be so large but I do have everything clipped together and in separate piles so I'm hoping each pile counts as a baggie, lol.

Old 08-20-2020, 10:12 AM

One other thing about all of JN's quilts is that you can get replacement pattern pieces at a very reasonable price from the Quiltworx web site. That is great for some one like me who is prone to make cutting mistakes or if I want to do the quilt a second time or make it larger.
Old 08-20-2020, 01:31 PM
Power Poster

I make copies of the pattern pieces to use to make my JN quilt and kept the original in case I ever want to make it again or in my case I make a mistake in the cutting. So glad I made copies. I ended up doing traditional paper piecing to get the pattern finished.
Old 08-21-2020, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I make copies of the pattern pieces to use to make my JN quilt and kept the original in case I ever want to make it again or in my case I make a mistake in the cutting. So glad I made copies. I ended up doing traditional paper piecing to get the pattern finished.
I do too. Technically, that's illegal. But the way I see it, when I pay $$ for a pattern, that copy of the pattern is mine. I can make backup copies for my own use, reduce it, enlarge it, run it through the shredder, give it away when I'm done, whatever. What I can't and won't do is make copies and sell them.