Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
If you don't intend to buy more fabric but you must... >

If you don't intend to buy more fabric but you must...

If you don't intend to buy more fabric but you must...

Old 08-22-2020, 09:31 PM

These days I have more stash than I can use in this life, but I have found that my biggest regrets have come when I start a project using my stash and I don't have enough of a piece of fabric to make what I want. My biggest regrets are buying one yard or less - two yards seems to be the minimum that works. That said - I still have to buy black, white and blenders - and those are at least 3 yards (and at current prices that is a big ouch).
Old 08-23-2020, 01:32 AM

I was buying 1 yard cuts for stash but like someone else said - then I would start using it for a project and it just wasn't enough!. So now 2 yards....although I spent a chunk of today organizing and .... I have a lot of fabric. I'm going to stay out if the fabric store for a while unless I need something specific.
Old 08-23-2020, 02:43 AM

I'll usually buy a yard, 2 if I really love it and would use it as a focus in a quilt, and 4-5 if it's suitable for background.
I like doing scrappy, and quilts with lots of small pieces. For example, the last quilt I made had 24 fabrics, and other the the border fabric, it needed less than a yard of each.
Old 08-23-2020, 10:09 AM

Two yards unless it is for a specific project. I have been buying 1/2 yard for mask making lately.
Old 08-23-2020, 11:54 AM

When a fabric line just grabs me and won't let go, I start thinking what I can do with it. Then I start adding up for a lap quilt. There are 2 beds in my house and they each have several quilts. So first I need 4 yds for the back. Then from that same fabric I'll need 1 for the front and 1/2 yd for the binding. OK, now how much of the contrast. I figure 4 yds for back, then 4 yds for front. Already have 1 so thats 3 more for a total of 8.5 yds. Times $13/yd, thats $114 + tx. OK, now walk around the store for some more exercise and meditation. Think about what I have at home that might be similar or I've been wanting to sew up. Walk some more. That's $114+tx for the fabric. Do I want another project? Do I want another project with this fabric?

So I decide, yes, I need a new project to spark some motivation. Buy is quick. Immediately wash, While it's washing, figure out what to do with it. Cut and start construction immediately. NO buyers remorse allowed!
Old 08-25-2020, 05:27 AM
Power Poster

I don't buy a lot of yardage but I have a lot in my stash. I love precuts, especially fat quarters because I fall in love with certain lines and I have to have all of it lol
I'll never run out of backings unless I live to be over 200 ha!
Old 08-25-2020, 07:44 AM

I loved when you could buy a just 1/4 yd of fabric of a single print yardage. Most of the stores now require you to buy at least a yard, or two. It's also a lot more expensive than it used to be. A lose/lose situation in my book.

All that being said, I have been on a little buying spree this last week, or two. Being cooped up makes me want to get creative and delve into all kinds of quilt projects. I've spent some money, but it's cheaper than therapy. Does that make me bad????

~ C
Old 08-26-2020, 05:08 AM
Power Poster

I consider myself "bad" when I buy a big bag of M & M's but never for buying fabric.
Old 09-02-2020, 09:29 PM

Between 1 and 1.5 yards is a good amount.