Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My quilt gets caught in the machine! >

My quilt gets caught in the machine!

My quilt gets caught in the machine!

Old 08-28-2020, 06:12 AM

What size quilt are you working with? Starting with a small "sandwich" to practice on helps. Also, are you using some kind of quilting glove (gardening gloves work, too). The little rubber nubs on the bottom help grip the fabric and it is much easier to move around. I can't quilt without using some type of glove with nubs. Good luck! Don't give up - it does take practice and practice and practice.
Old 08-28-2020, 06:17 AM

Per the instructions, and personal experience, instead of lowering it straight down, kind of push it toward the back of the machine so it catches the notch. In this position the foot is a slight distance from the feed dogs and has put some tension on the threads so that the hook can grab the loop at the back of the needle without pulling bunches of thread out. The distance that the presser foot is from the feed dogs keeps the fabric from pulling up with the needle. I've heard many times of people not putting the presser foot down at all when FMQ and wound up with globs of thread all over. Pfaff made these machines so that there is room to move the fabric and still be able to make an actual stitch.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 08-28-2020, 08:03 AM

Quilting gloves, poof the material, go slow on the hand movement, and practice, practice, etc.
Old 08-28-2020, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by iva1234 View Post
To be honest I’m not sure how you tell what plate I have...
Look at the hole the needle disappears into. That piece of metal is the plate. If the needle goes down into a round hole, you are using a single stitch plate. If the needle does down into an oval hole, you are using a zigzag or buttonhole stitch plate. Sometimes, when using the plate with the oval hole, the needle will push the fabric down below the plate and you'll get puckers and knots and all kinds of stuff that will make you pull your hair out.