Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help replacing Martelli Blades >

Need help replacing Martelli Blades

Need help replacing Martelli Blades

Old 08-22-2020, 08:03 PM

Default Need help replacing Martelli Blades

I have the 60 and 45 mm Martelli cutters (the new version) and I have been struggling trying to replace the blades without nicking the blade (when I got the cutters the blades on both cutters had a bad spot and did not cut smoothly). I looked at the videos and read the directions but have not been able to change the blades without nicking them. Since I had not used the cutter, I did not need to clean it.

First, I cannot pull the blades out with my fingeers - I undid the screw, opened the te cover and pulled - nothing happened. I had to use a needle nose plier and finally got the blade out. Then I could not insert the blade without using the needle nose pliers either - and when I got it inserted I think it got nicked on that flower shaped thing.

Any ideas? Suggestions?
Thanks
Old 08-23-2020, 02:20 AM

Either call Martelli and explain the situation to them, they are very nice and helpful. Or, go to you tube and look for a true to show you how to do it yourself.
Old 08-23-2020, 02:30 AM

There are several YouTube videos that show how to change the blades. I have the 45mm and had to put a new spring in mine a few months back.

www.martellinotions.com/faqs
Old 08-23-2020, 09:48 AM

So sorry you are having this problem. It took me a very long time to get used to the Martelli cutter. Had I been able to use a traditional type of cutter, I may well have given up on the Martelli.

I have very weak arthritic fingers and am able to pull the blade out and put it back in. New blades are well oiled; have you tried using an old cloth to grip the blade? It sounds from your description that you are doing everything right. Is there someone with stronger fingers you could ask for help?
Old 08-23-2020, 12:50 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

https://youtu.be/GwFNM8P7PBo

i got a 404 error on the link above. Try this one.
Old 08-23-2020, 02:39 PM

There is a piece that slides off the blade to expose it opposite the handle so it can changed. Try googling it. Once you figure out the correct way, no needle nose pliers needed, it's a breeze.
Old 08-23-2020, 02:43 PM

I just googled how to change the blade, got plenty of you tube videos.
Old 08-28-2020, 07:16 PM

Thanks all. I have watched a ton of you tube videos and they all make pulling out the blade and replacing it look so easy with fingers. I have no cartilage in the joints where my thumbs join my hands so I have no real grip strength and can't seem to budge the blade with just my fingers - hence the needle nose.

Krisb - I had seen that video, I push back the blade guard, unscrew the screw - it is the actual pulling the blade that I can't do.

Joe'smom, I tried the cloth, I get a good grip when I try to push the new blade in I just can't get it in without the needle nose. When I insert, the blade catches on the little plastic flower thing that is against the guard and the blade gets a dull spot.
Thanks
Old 08-28-2020, 09:25 PM

Try sicking some mole skin (stuff used for corns) on both prongs of the needle nose. I did that for something I was doing that needed a firm grip with pliers but needed protection from scratches.