Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mid Century Modern Quilt Patterns or Book >

Mid Century Modern Quilt Patterns or Book

Mid Century Modern Quilt Patterns or Book

Old 08-28-2020, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Colorado Quilter View Post
Another option for you might be a Frank Lloyd Wright window quilt. There are a few to choose from here http://animasquilts.com/index.php?ma...dex&cPath=2_15. I purchased the Dana House quilt and bought the fabric but I haven't started it yet. Frank Lloyd Wright architecture reminds me of mid-century modern.
Yes! That's what I came here to post. I've even got a book on them, and it's still on my 'bucket' list.

Peckish those were some lovely ideas!
Old 08-28-2020, 11:48 AM

The 50s were sort of a quiet period of quilting, more based on the stronger dateable 30s and changing needs. A lot of the way things were "updated" was by making blocks larger. Poly blend fabrics were praised for their shine, bright colors and lack of ironing required. Things started waking up in the 60s with more bright bold prints and colors, leading into the 70s and the daisy invasion, and up to the start of art quilts and rotary cutting.

My house isn't quite mid-century modern, it's the mass produced basic Seattle area ranch house. House is younger than I am! House was built in 1963, and while maintained is still mostly in original condition like no paint on the kitchen cupboards but vinyl replaced once or twice.

For me, I would go for "atomic age prints" combined with modern styles and techniques of connecting long rectangles and grids and such. There are the distinctive aqua and pink and chocolate brown with turquoise and exploding objects as well as rectangles and lines. I would keep a lighter palette, more in the oatmeal and sky blue but with maybe a darker repeated color. Guess it boils down to I would try more for a feeling than an historic piece.
Old 08-28-2020, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
Mid-century modern is to me the perfect description of Denyse Schmidt fabrics and patterns.

http://dsquilts.com/

Yes! I'm putting together a presentation on modern quilting for guild show and "supposily" on a Martha Stewart shop in the 90's??? Denyse Schmidt was a guess and Martha said her quilting was Modern--that started it. (date range may be wrong!)
Old 08-29-2020, 04:13 AM

Thanks to all. I too remember the "modern" movement in decorating as my mother painted the livingroom chocolate brown, hung gold drapes and bought a lime green couch. No flowers in any fabric! She totally changed the look of the livingroom that had drapes of scenery with a lot of green.
Old 08-31-2020, 05:33 AM

Thanks for this site.
Old 08-31-2020, 05:34 AM

Will you be posting your presentation?
Old 08-31-2020, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by pbraun View Post
Will you be posting your presentation?
I'll sure post pictures once I get them taken!
Old 08-31-2020, 05:06 PM

The Atomic Starburst quilt. I love this one by Violet Craft. It screams 1950’s. She has a pdf download on her web site. It does have foundation piecing in it .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	5AEACE1F-4D7B-4863-B1B6-46834F2328E5.jpeg
Views:	28
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	627541  

Last edited by Sandygirl; 08-31-2020 at 05:09 PM.