Song lyrics

Old 08-29-2020, 08:10 AM

I'm pleased to present you with one of my favorite life time ear worms, and it is in Spanish! Man, I hate it when a song I love is in another language. I figured it out phonetically back in the 1970s and got the general gist of it. Nowadays translations are easy to come by, but the problem comes when there are direct translations and what the metaphors and meanings are saying... This is the "remastered" version, a little more suited for listening than the AM transistor radio quality of the original.

Mocedades, "Eres Tu"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naAC37W42ro

Only click if you dare. Think I've done over 20 loops of this at a time. I've written out my own poetic translation. It's one of the most beautiful songs I know.
Old 08-29-2020, 04:55 PM

There are many mornings when I wake up with an ear worm - usually it’s a song I haven’t heard or thought of in years. I consider this a great way to start a day!!

Sandy in Mooresville,NC
Old 08-30-2020, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Do you actually listen to the lyrics of some songs?

I've been looking up the lyrics from some songs that I can only remember a line or two of - -

Have you ever been surprised by what the actual lyrics to a song are?

Where are you looking up the song lyrics, would love to have that site as Iv'e got some wrong and/or missing lyrics of a couple of songs
Old 08-30-2020, 07:07 AM

There are many different places that offer song lyrics. Sometimes the lyrics are put in by fans -- and sometimes they are wrong so check out a couple before you agree with the interpretation.

I often end up at one of these sites here:
https://www.metrolyrics.com/
https://www.azlyrics.com/

Some songs have lyrics that show up on you-tube videos.

Either way if you do a search with as much as you know like "Iris Googoo Dolls Lyrics" you will get choices of sites or videos. Even if you just know part of the song it is amazing what you will find so the search would be something like: song and you bleed just to know you're alive" (which is from Iris, by the googoo dolls, yes in addition to being about relationships it's about cutting).
https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=son...e+alive&ia=web
https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/googoodolls/iris.html
Old 08-30-2020, 07:23 AM
Power Poster

Sometimes (usually) I only know/remember a line or two - or what I think is a line or two - and do a search on that - or what I think might be the title - or who I think recorded it -

Like Iceblossom wrote - sometimes one can "reconstruct" with only fragments -
Old 08-31-2020, 07:31 PM

Several years ago some words just popped into my head and wouldn't let go. Not just words, they had a tune like lines from a song - "She lies 'neath the clover, Someone caught her bending over".
After 2 or 3 days of slowly going mad I googled those exact words and within seconds the complete lyrics to a hit song from my VERY early childhood were right in front of my eyes, "Feudin' Fussin' and a-Fightin'" by Bing Crosby. I had no reason to remember that song (but once I saw the words I did) and it made me wonder how much we have crammed in our heads that we haven't thought of since forever.
Old 09-01-2020, 05:17 AM
Power Poster

Funny how songs can get stuck in our heads. I found out quite accidentally that one of my brothers and I do the same thing: when we hear a lyric and can't remember which song it was we google it. Ha! We always send each other youtube music video links too. We have the same tastes.

Give me any Beatles song and I know the lyrics verbatim lol.

I think Born in the USA is misunderstood in more than one way. We used to go to the big 4th of July fireworks in Columbus and they had it blasting every year. It is about the plight of the Vietnam vet. Even the President didn't realize it at the time. Bruce gave a concert for the vets in 1981.

Last edited by SusieQOH; 09-01-2020 at 05:22 AM.
Old 09-01-2020, 11:20 AM

Here is one for you if you dare!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UALb0NLZM3M

When my DD was expecting she mentioned this song. I embroidered the lyrics and added embroidery designs to coordinate with the lyrics. The pages were made into a baby book for grandson. The book was presented at the baby shower. We all sang the song to the dad to be as it was his child-hood song.

The cake had a beach scene with a baby swinging in a palm tree.
Old 09-04-2020, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
I'm pleased to present you with one of my favorite life time ear worms, and it is in Spanish! Man, I hate it when a song I love is in another language. I figured it out phonetically back in the 1970s and got the general gist of it. Nowadays translations are easy to come by, but the problem comes when there are direct translations and what the metaphors and meanings are saying... This is the "remastered" version, a little more suited for listening than the AM transistor radio quality of the original.

Mocedades, "Eres Tu"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naAC37W42ro

Only click if you dare. Think I've done over 20 loops of this at a time. I've written out my own poetic translation. It's one of the most beautiful songs I know.
Iceblossum, I think every song you named I know and have stuck in my head on occasion, lol. I'm glad to have your solution of writing out the lyrics. Lately I've been getting songs from the Blues Brothers movie stuck in my head. "She caught the Katy, and left me a mule to ride."

I remember my mom singing Mairzie Doats to me, and then explaining the lyrics. Good memories.
Old 09-04-2020, 09:06 AM

I just read the words to Born in the USA. I had no idea....