Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why, oh why do I go to Joanne Fabrics? (JUst need to vent) >

Why, oh why do I go to Joanne Fabrics? (JUst need to vent)

Why, oh why do I go to Joanne Fabrics? (JUst need to vent)

Old 03-02-2010, 11:39 AM

I shop at Joann's pretty regularly, even though I would really rather order more interesting and higher quality fabrics on line. But using either the sales or the coupons, the fabric ends up being much cheaper there. I just wish they carried better stuff.

What drives me nuts is that they've always got some little 20% sale going on for the fabric you want, so you can't use your 40% or 50% coupon for it. You can get good bargains tho - my daughter bought me a $139 Ott Lite for like $30 over the holidays.

Joann's has pretty much obliterated the competition - the two independent quilt stores in my area (that had better fabric and knowledgeable staff) have both closed in recent times.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:48 AM

Joann's has pretty much obliterated the competition - the two independent quilt stores in my area (that had better fabric and knowledgeable staff) have both closed in recent times.
Hancock's obliterated my two favorite stores and then, when Joann's moved into one of those two spaces, it took so much business from Hancock's that when Hancock's closed a whole slew of stores a couple of years ago, the one near me was a goner. (What goes around comes around?)
Old 03-02-2010, 12:29 PM
Power Poster

Since I learned what I have to do to shop at this local Hancock's Fabric or a JoAnn's I don't have any problems. It's like planning for a battle. If I have a coupon I tell the checker what item I want to use it on and get that rung up first. I say with each item if it is on sale and what precentage off. I asked with each item what was the price that it rang up for. I double check each rack for hidden bargains and there are a lot hidden that seem to be pushed to the back or underneath a stack. I seldom buy fabric at JoAnn's so don't have the cutter problems there.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:44 PM

Daisygirl, I think we just might shop at the same Joannes (LOL). Don't you think their corporate people would get the picture soon that half their stores are pitiful excuses??? But when you're the only game in town, you can do most anything!
Old 03-02-2010, 12:54 PM

I go to Joanne's for backing fabric only - but you have to be real careful because their 109" muslin is always at least a half a yard off if they have cut it with scissors - Our Joanne's has transferred itself into a mega store and they have lost their customer service and their fabrics are not very good but I find there muslin pretty good....but watch the way they cut it you could loose your extra fabric
Old 03-02-2010, 01:06 PM

Sadly, we are nowhere near each other. I am in NJ so it just goes to show you that it is not just one store it is many, but not all.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:11 PM

I''m with you on JoAnn's Ours is helpful and I don't have problems with my coupons in fact one time I forgot my c oupon and the manager gave the 40% off anyway.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:59 PM

Check internet
Old 03-02-2010, 02:44 PM

I also have found that they short cut your material on one corner. Its not a good 45in some time just 45in. I have coupon and then everything is on sale at the same price.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:45 PM

I also have found that they short cut your material on one corner. Its not a good 45in some time just 43in. I have coupon and then everything is on sale at the same price.