Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Elmer's Glue Basting and Table >

Elmer's Glue Basting and Table

Elmer's Glue Basting and Table

Old 09-14-2020, 04:09 AM

Default Elmer's Glue Basting and Table

Been reading on line glue basting quilts and seems rule of thumb MAY be to iron the glue to set/dry it. Do you have to iron? If you do what about the finish on your table or craft table?
Old 09-14-2020, 10:21 AM

Default to iron or not

Greetings and welcome to the board! I personally have not glue basted sandwiches but I have used glue to baste tricky applique which I prefer over starch (starch is sugar and can over time attract moths). You can make sachets from cedar animal bedding but I just prefer to avoid starch all together. Here is a link to a video that shows glue basting for applique circles. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRLXlELj9zo I think the ironing is just to dry the glue faster. ;-) Reba
Old 09-14-2020, 10:42 AM
Power Poster

I glue baste all my quilt sandwiches on my dining room table. I don’t iron because I am never in a hurry and it is ready to quilt after air drying over night. I wouldn’t iron on a table that couldn’t take the heat. I guess you could slide a wool pressing mat under the sandwich in sections and hit it with the iron. I never have done that
Old 09-14-2020, 02:04 PM

I glue baste my quilts and just let the glue dry for several hours. I don't iron them to dry the glue.. I would be afraid of damaging the table top with a hot iron.
Old 09-14-2020, 02:57 PM

I either pin or glue baste my quilts. If I use cotton batting, then I iron it dry. If I use wool or polyester batting, I let it air dry, because the heat ruins the batting. Learned that the hard way.

When I iron it, I use the big board that I made that's about 36x72 inches. I glue and iron a section at a time.

Last edited by SherylM; 09-14-2020 at 03:01 PM.
Old 09-14-2020, 03:14 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SherylM View Post
I either pin or glue baste my quilts. If I use cotton batting, then I iron it dry. If I use wool or polyester batting, I let it air dry, because the heat ruins the batting. Learned that the hard way.

When I iron it, I use the big board that I made that's about 36x72 inches. I glue and iron a section at a time.
Oh, thank you! I just glue basted with wool batting and was thinking of ironing it. So glad I read this!
To the original poster- I usually use my dining room table and just let it dry overnight.
Old 09-15-2020, 05:41 AM

I don't iron but I do smush any glue blobs flat. There aren't alot since I water down my glue but it is helpful.I just let dry overnight like others.
Old 09-15-2020, 07:57 AM

I do my School Gluing on my queen size bed. I put a pin line down the center through all layers that are on the bed at the time. First it's batt and back and when that is dry, then batt up with top in place. I can iron it on the bed if I want.