Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Whew! Never had trouble before spray basting >

Whew! Never had trouble before spray basting

Whew! Never had trouble before spray basting

Old 09-19-2020, 06:44 AM

Default Whew! Never had trouble before spray basting

I have spray basted a ton of quilts and never had difficulty, but this time I had to do it in the opposite layers that I usually do it in and boy, did it give me grief!
Because of the technique I'm using (quilting from the back), I had to begin top down, then batting and end with backing up. I had more wrinkles/ puckers/batting folding than I could imagine. I thought I had them all out after I had done the first layer of top and batting but then when I got the backing on I turned the quilt over and there were wrinkles and puckers on the top that had to be removed!

Why would that happen, just because I started with the top down?

My usual technique is backing down, then batting then top and I never have this problem.

Watson
Old 09-19-2020, 09:03 AM
Power Poster

hhhmmmmmm!!!!
That's totally annoying. Poor You!

I've reverse sandwiched, and never had a problem .... yet!
Wonder what happened this time for yours?

Watson, Here's what I do, ....... is there anything different in our techniques?
1st layer flat on table ... taped well with painters tape and/or clamped to edge of the table.
Just a bit of tension on it, but not so much as to distort. KWIM??

Batting, lay on top, and smoothed out flat.
Fold 1/2 over. Spray the fabric and smooth batting in place.
Fold remaining 1/2 over already sprayed area. Spray and smooth.

Final layer ... most times it is the FLIMSY, but the backing if doing things in reverse!
Same process as with the batting, Again, spraying the fabric.

How does this compare?

Old 09-19-2020, 09:31 AM
Power Poster

I don't understand why you had to switch because you were quilting with the backing up. I always spray the batting and then smooth either the top or backing on, whichever I pick up first. Then turn it over and spray the batting and add the other side. Both sides are smooth.
Old 09-19-2020, 11:18 AM

QuiltE that is what I do except, I don't spray the whole of one 1/2, I do it in thirds.

Onebyone, I had to switch because I had to be very careful where I put the backing so the lines of stitching line up with the front of the quilt. (Not sure how successful I was.)

Maybe I'm just getting too old to be crawling around on the floor?

Watson

Old 09-19-2020, 12:38 PM
Power Poster

Hi again, Watson ... yes, guess I do 1/3s for the larger ones!
However, a long time ago, I refused to crawl around on the floor.
So I put together quite a large table set up instead. That worked well.

Though, even that sometimes was killing my back way tooooo much!
I have now had some basted on a LA ... by MaryKatherine.
Figured what it cost, was still probably le$$ than all the 505 plus chiro appt!
Win-Win!!!!

Last edited by QuiltE; 09-19-2020 at 12:41 PM.
Old 09-19-2020, 02:18 PM

Watson - so sorry to hear that it was difficult and hard to smooth out - very frustrating! What you did seems to have been logical & ok - It's maddening and tiring when you have done something many times and the one time it is a little different it doesn't turn out. Maybe take a break from it and then try again. Perhaps if it still isn't working I would go with QuiltE's suggestion and have a longarmer baste it.
Old 09-19-2020, 02:55 PM
Power Poster

I did one quilt on the floor when I was very much younger. I never have again. LOL I bought three folding tables and that hold the biggest quilts I baste. They fold in the middle and easy to store in the garage. I don't care about over spray and have plenty of air circulation. It's heated in the winter and it has two big windows to keep the air moving and not get freezing. I have room in our house now to set up but prefer the garage in winter and porch in summer.
Old 09-20-2020, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I did one quilt on the floor when I was very much younger. I never have again. LOL I bought three folding tables and that hold the biggest quilts I baste. They fold in the middle and easy to store in the garage. I don't care about over spray and have plenty of air circulation. It's heated in the winter and it has two big windows to keep the air moving and not get freezing. I have room in our house now to set up but prefer the garage in winter and porch in summer.
Onebyone...I like your idea of using 3 folding tables. Easy to set up and take down, inside, or out.
Old 09-20-2020, 05:37 AM

Hi there!
Have you considered Sharon Schamber's "board basting" method ? I believe her tutorials show her using the method to hand-baste, but I use the method for spray-basting. Once you get the hang of it, it's very fast. I've been doing it this way for years now, and never have any pleats or creases.

Instead of "floating" the batting as she does, I start out with the backing on one board (you could also start with the top) and the batting on the other board and spray-baste those two elements. Then I continue with the basted backing/batting on one board and the top on the other board and spray-baste those two elements together.
Old 09-20-2020, 07:14 AM
Power Poster

Perhaps the top has less even tension across it because it is pieced? Sorry it gave you trouble and I hope it is smooth sailing through the quilting!