Singer 15-91

Old 10-11-2020, 10:39 AM
MsP

Default Singer 15-91

I just acquired a 1951 beauty from a local thrift in "as is" condition. Awaiting arrival of missing parts on Tuesday. I've read the manual and it specifically states you should never run the machine with the presser foot resting on the feed without cloth under the presser foot. Does this mean I would harm the sewing machine if I did chain piecing on it?
Old 10-11-2020, 12:19 PM

Not at all. Chain piecing isn't a problem to think about again
I"ve used a 15-91 for the last 3-4 years now daily, not gentle on the machine either but do give maintenance as, and when it needs it. Workhorses these machines!

Last edited by Hooligan; 10-11-2020 at 12:21 PM.
Old 10-11-2020, 12:31 PM
MsP

Oh that's great news, thanks for the quick reply! I got it for its reputation as a great FMQ machine, but was looking forward to being able to give gifts that were made in their entirety on a 15-91. Sounds like that can happen now - Yippee!!!
Old 10-11-2020, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by MsP View Post
Oh that's great news, thanks for the quick reply! I got it for its reputation as a great FMQ machine, but was looking forward to being able to give gifts that were made in their entirety on a 15-91. Sounds like that can happen now - Yippee!!!
I can't say nothing bad about these machines, as i said...have used one daily for the last few years and don't treat it with kid gloves either. Enjoy
Old 10-11-2020, 01:03 PM

It's one of the best vintage models, many's favorite. The reason for not running the machine with presser foot down and no fabric is the excess wear. The presserfoot gets these deep scratches, the chrome/nickle wears off, and excess wear on the feed dogs as well. It's pretty common on any machine really. That said, this is a model that stands up to a lot of use and abuse, but I always reccomend to treat it with care.