Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Hunter Star >

Hunter Star

Hunter Star

Old 11-01-2020, 03:33 PM

Love the quilt. You can't go wrong, either way.....
Old 11-01-2020, 04:17 PM

I love the bright colors! I've just finished one in grays, blacks & navy blues (for a teenage grandson), but mixed the colors. He will like it, but I really love your choices!
Old 11-01-2020, 04:40 PM
Power Poster

That's beautiful! I don't see a piano key border though. I think it would take away from the beauty of it.
Old 11-01-2020, 06:26 PM

I'm with Tallchick--my first impression is it's such a happy quilt. I'd vote no on piano keys and if you need/want a border, maybe just white--really nice quilt!
Old 11-01-2020, 09:07 PM

What a lovely, vibrant quilt! Personally, I wouldn't care for more colors around it. I think it would be too busy. I would put on a single solid or mottled fabric border. But you do what pleases you. Your husband is sure to love it whatever you decide.

Leslie
Old 11-02-2020, 03:31 AM

Congrats on your lovely quilt! I love the colors you have chosen.

If you want the stars to be the center of attention, how about adding a cream border and a scrappy binding? (if you have any cream fabric left over) I think a piano border may take your eye away from your lovely Hunter Stars. You could call it done and just add binding if you like this look. Have you asked your DH for his input?
Old 11-02-2020, 03:42 AM

OK, just another opinion here. A piano key border may distract from the star patterns. You have made a bold move to make this traditional pattern in tropical Caribbean colors and it is lovely. The border you are suggestions might be very "busy" and distract from the stars. As others have so gently suggested perhaps just bind it as is or if you need to make it a little bigger, choose one favorite color and go that direction. You could always do a scrappy pieced binding.
Old 11-02-2020, 06:08 AM

Unless you need it to be larger, I would quilt and bind it as it is. It is really pretty and I love how you did different colors for each block.
Old 11-02-2020, 06:31 AM

Thanks for all the ideas so far I have a lot to choose from and am putting a great deal of thought to the finish.
Old 11-02-2020, 08:04 AM

I always like to add a small sash as well as a border to keep all the seams from coming apart while quilting it. It also in my opinion frames the body of the quilt. You could add a small white sash and then use one of the fabrics for the border. Doesn't need to be very wide of a border either. Using the piano keys quilting pattern is a great idea unless you meant to use pieces of fabric to create a striped effect for the border. That may take away from the body of the quilt as the person might not know where their eyes should be looking at with so much going on.