Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter 2020/2021 Winter Mystery: Grassy Creek >

Bonnie Hunter 2020/2021 Winter Mystery: Grassy Creek

Bonnie Hunter 2020/2021 Winter Mystery: Grassy Creek

Old 11-06-2020, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Belfrybat View Post
I'm in again, but I really don't know why since I never finished the last two. I love making blocks -- assembling the quilt not so much. I'm sort of following Bonnie's colourway but substituting brown for grey. My problem is the orange. I have some marbelized but it is way too bright and I don't want to buy anything else. I'm afraid the print I've picked out is too close to the red. I'm also dithering about the green. I'd appreciate some feedback.
Just grab some other colors you have and see how they look in the mix....I do think the orange print is too close to the red....any purples or blues or maybe teal in your stash?
Old 11-06-2020, 02:32 PM

Belfrybat, been thinking some more as I'm considering my own choices -- if you used the "brown" you currently have for the orange, I think it has enough contrast with the gold. And then maybe something more in the chocolate end of brown for your final color. I think my main concern with the print is that "just" the other colors will end up being visible, so you might end up with green or other completely opposite triangles from what you might expect or might be needed to carry the pattern.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up scrappy, in Bonnie's colors, but I'm still looking for anything I have in the 5 yard range to substitute for the grey... The blue I was thinking of turned out to be only 3 yards.

If I can pull the pieces together, I'm thinking I might have a really fun half sized child's quilt. I'm a bit concerned though that the scale on the pattern I'd be using for the grey fabric might be a bit large.

Is always fun to play with the stash and imagine the possibilities
Old 11-06-2020, 04:19 PM

Gudrun Erla of GE Designs showed a variation of the colors today on her YouTube channel. I need to check out BHs Facebook page.

I’m still sitting on the fence but I know it will be less units if I choose to do it. I have a few other projects to get done first.
Old 11-06-2020, 08:02 PM

Hi Guys! This is my first year joining you on the board, although I lurked all last year. Frolic was my first Quiltville Mystery, and I was lucky because raspberry and blue is one of my favorite color combos! This year, I'm not too sure about the color choices, but I've spent the last 2 months organizing my stash, and to my surprise, I can do Bonnie's colorway without buying any fabric, so that's what I'm doing.

Because I'm a glutton for punishment, I'm also doing a hand dyed version in colors that are more my style - I'm just waiting on my dyes to arrive so I can get started. I have a feeling that I'm biting off a bit more than I can chew, but I'm working from home right now with a 2 month old, and my evenings in my sewing room are the only time I have to myself - luckily, my husband loves spending that time with our daughter and doesn't give me any grief!
Old 11-07-2020, 05:36 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
Bonnie did not mention using a constant fabric this year, but she did say the quilt would work well using one fabric per color.

This is my almost final edit of my fabric (I removed a few of the reds after this photo). My fabrics are all pressed now, so ready to go!
Love your fabrics! And thanks for the kind words about me joining in again. They mystery part is so much fun! And so are all of you So I'm in! Just may change up some colors. I do like the Autumn theme though.
After this crazy year we need some fun!
Old 11-07-2020, 05:41 AM

Hey Quilty -- last year I started the Mystery with a bag of hand dyes I had gotten at the thrift store and I changed the color options a bit, mostly changing the neutral to yellow and using values more than colors for the others.

I think my Frolic top came out lovely but I did want to mention that it was a lot harder (for me) working with the hand dyes than I thought it would be at first. I didn't think I would care which side was "up" but it turned out I did and I spent a lot of time just determining right sides... before I cut, after I cut, while I sewed... Also some of the color shifts within the fabric happened at bad spots -- so the design of a quilt really needed that little piece to look one color and it turned into another color, but that is going to happen with any designs larger than a quarter.

This was my bag, and this was my top -- it still isn't quilted but I think I might have someone for it now.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5341.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	960.4 KB
ID:	629401   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5536.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	629402  
Old 11-07-2020, 06:43 AM

Those are valid concerns IceBlossom, but I love working with hand dyed fabrics. Normally, I like to ice dye a big batch of fabric and use it with a solid/blender to make modern quilts - I've attached a picture of my Homespun Quilt (Modernly Morgan) below.
However, for this quilt I've decided to go with some low water immersion for a more crackle texture and to prevent the dye from splitting as much. As long as I keep good notes about my dye to water ratios, I think I'll end up feeling ok. My biggest concern is those 5 yards of gray! I think I'm going to start with dyeing 3 yards and then add the other 2 later (hence the notes). I'm also attaching a picture of some previous LWI fabrics that I've worked with.

Name:	IMG_20200724_000541_354.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	629409   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200824_073230_301.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	542.5 KB
ID:	629410   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200917_213813_533.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	629411  
Old 11-07-2020, 06:53 AM

Great! You know what you are getting into. I really thought I wouldn't mind which side was up or not, and some of my greens were too close to some of my neutrals, the color I started with was pretty much dead on to Bonnies, but when I decided to up my neutral to yellow, I should have reconsidered that shade darker.

It also turned out that my bag of fabric had not been fixed! The pieces had been starched but ran like thieves into the night. LOL, I spent days/hours/weeks boiling and setting that fabric. It would have been so much easier had they been treated correctly by the dyer knowing what they used and needed to get a good set. But for what they were doing (learning patterns or making art/non-washed pieces) maybe they did it exactly right for their needs. Even putting in my hundreds of hours of labor, I still think it was a pretty good buy for $8.99 or whatever it was. I still have a significant amount left, enough to do the first project I saw in there, a wide-log modern sort of camouflage log cabin more in the greens and browns.

I also think part of the thing is I am just drawn to the more patterned pieces, but for a good Bonnie Hunter project, every piece needs to look like it was cut from the same piece of fabric and that's why some of the larger scale fabrics don't work so well -- but I think your examples will work well.

edit: To clarify, when I said about the one piece, that was in Frolic which was actually highly planned and using paired fabric combinations, those all needed to look like they came from the same piece of fabric because that was how it was designed, and then the next block could be a different set of fabrics. This one might be more random in terms of paired pieces.

Last edited by Iceblossom; 11-07-2020 at 06:58 AM.
Old 11-07-2020, 07:22 AM

Fabric bleed is absolutely my nightmare. I cringe when I see the piles of my early dyes, because I know they're not properly set and I'll never use them. But now, I've upgraded to Procion Dyes, and I go through a multi-step process of scouring, soda ash, dyeing, multiple rinses and soaks before washing, so at least I know these are set well! And thr color pallet I'm using thankfully excludes turquoise, which seems to be the most stubborn Procion dye to set.
Old 11-07-2020, 11:29 AM

I'm impressed with those who dare use hand dyed fabric. No way for me. Back to my dithering on colours, as much as I liked the "orange" print I found I agreed with those who thought it might end up muddying the other colours (my term, not yours). I found another orangy fabric that I don't like, but I think it will be perfect in this quilt. The print is small enough that even with Bonnie's micro pieces, both oranges will show in each patch. And since I'm using a print for the orange, I've decided to go with the leaf print for the green. Thanks to all of your for your guidance. I don't want to go with a darker brown as brown (grey) is going to be prominent in the quilt and I feel I need the brighter colours to offset it. See what you think of my new line up. BTW, the red shows up brighter in the pic than it really is.

Name:	Grassy creek fabrics.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	233.7 KB
ID:	629420