Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Classic Vintage Cookbook Suggestions? >

Classic Vintage Cookbook Suggestions?

Classic Vintage Cookbook Suggestions?

Old 11-09-2020, 10:47 AM
Power Poster

I remember Gooseberry cookbooks were popular ones in the 70's, maybe earlier. I don't remember seeing a cookbook in my home or my friends homes. All food packages/containers had recipes on the back. I remember recipes hand written on church bulletins.
Old 11-09-2020, 01:00 PM

I had to look up Purity CB, I see it is Canadian so that's why I never heard of it.

My mom's cookbook was the Lily Wallace New American Cookbook, c. 1940's. I loved the section on ration cooking. Another good one is American Woman's Cookbook. Both nice thick books with a ton of recipes.
Old 11-09-2020, 04:03 PM

I inherited a copy of "The Joy of Cooking" by Irma S. Rombauer that was published in 1931. Every thing you could think of about cooking is in this. Pages are falling out but I continually look up ideas.
Old 11-10-2020, 04:32 AM

He might like a real World War II Victory garden cookbook: not easy to find though.
Old 11-10-2020, 05:40 AM

I have my Mom's Household Search Light cookbook from 1935. It has a black cover and is over an inch thick.
Old 11-10-2020, 08:04 AM
Power Poster

I never cared for the Joy of Cooking. I have the older edition and it is very drab.
Old 11-10-2020, 08:26 AM

I found a cookbook my mother had, "The Lily Wallace New American Cook Book published by Books, Inc., New York, 1956. The hardback covers are missing but the pages are still in good shape. This is not my mother's original "go to" cookbook she went by as we were growing up as children, for that one was exactly the size of this one, but had red hardback covers. As my mother got to where she could cook or bake anything without a recipe, she stored it away, along with an antique "cat in a basket" COOKIE JAR, which I hope to uncover eventually. But in our growing up years, she would bake the best desserts, from recipes from her "red cookbook." My favorite were her cream puffs.
Old 11-10-2020, 10:08 AM

She already has both the Joy of Cooking and the New American Cookbooks. I gave those to her previously. She's really into the history of food and, of course, eating food...just like her mom.

I found quite a few cookbooks on my shopping spree. I'll probably put a couple aside to give to her next year.
Old 11-10-2020, 10:41 AM

Which modern day cookbooks, (that are currently being published, at least within the last 10-15 years,) do you think should be collectable? One comes immediately to my mind: Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook by Isa Chandra Moskowitz, Terry Hope Romero. They were greatly responsible for the huge, vegan movement and the cookbook is excellent.
Old 12-23-2020, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by mjkgquilt View Post
I have my Mom's Household Search Light cookbook from 1935. It has a black cover and is over an inch thick.
I have my Grandmother's Household Search Light cookbook too. I think it dates to the early 40's & is over 3 inches thick. They sold them door to door back then. She wrote on pages, glued newspaper & magazine recipes in it, you name it. Thing is she hardly ever used a recipe. She was a toss & throw cook. She could bake the best blackberry pie & never used a recipe. A hand full of this, a pinch of that. She never used measuring spoons either. I once asked her how they knew how to determine the temperature in a wood cook oven. She told me they'd stick their hand in. Ahhh the really good old days .