Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Favorite Secret Ingredient In a Recipe? >

Favorite Secret Ingredient In a Recipe?

Favorite Secret Ingredient In a Recipe?

Old 11-10-2020, 09:04 PM
Power Poster

When I make my pizzas, I brush the crust with warm water and sprinkle the edges with large kosher salt. The crusts when baked are like salted soft pretzels.
Old 11-11-2020, 01:23 AM

I add a splash of almond extract to any peach cobbler, pie, or cake I bake instead of vanilla. Adds a "something" you just can't identify but is so very good.
Old 11-11-2020, 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I keep Mac and cheese powder from the bulk store and I mix a couple of tablespoons with milk to add to my creamy soups like potato or cream of broccoli.
Great idea!

I add nutmeg to cheese sauces and to mashed potatoes. It's a Dutch thing.
Old 11-11-2020, 03:10 AM

Try a small amount of cinnamon in spaghetti sauce.

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
Do you have a hidden, secret spice, or ingredient in a recipe that makes that recipe beyond amazing? I'm not talking about the obvious, like bacon in Mac n' Cheese, but something that no one eating the food would ever guess is in there. Something that makes that recipe sing! Here are a couple of my secrets.

1. A pinch of curry powder in white, clam chowder
2. A dash of nutmeg in cooked spinach
3. A couple of tablespoons of nutritional yeast in white, or cheese sauce

I have a lot more, but you'll have to beat me over the head with a wooden spoon to get them out of me.
Old 11-11-2020, 03:49 AM

What do you mean by preserved lemons? Is this something you make yourself?
Old 11-11-2020, 04:06 AM

So then I'm reminded of the woman who was an excellent cook and everyone loved her potato salad. She received many requests for the recipe but she refused to share it, replying "over my dead body". When she died, her family had the recipe carved onto her gravestone!
Old 11-11-2020, 04:12 AM

I like to make my own coleslaw. I don't follow a strict recipe so it comes out a little different every time depending on what I have on hand. I will add a dash of Old Bay to it sometimes.
Old 11-11-2020, 05:47 AM
Power Poster

So then I'm reminded of the woman who was an excellent cook and everyone loved her potato salad. She received many requests for the recipe but she refused to share it, replying "over my dead body". When she died, her family had the recipe carved onto her gravestone!

I love that! I have never understood someone keeping a homemade recipe a secret. It may be delicious but it's not the secret of Fatima.
Old 11-11-2020, 05:58 AM

I don't have any secret ingredients but I remember when I started cooking for my hubby back in the 70's if the recipe called for something strange I didn't add it not knowing that may have been the secret ingredient for that recipe. Now I add everything they say to put in it. While looking for a recipe for squash soup, I downloaded a couple of them and then took from each one what I thought would work. My mother and sister were amazed that the soup contained nutmeg and cayenne pepper in it. Just that little pinch added made the soup better. Now I follow the recipe..................most times.
Old 11-11-2020, 07:51 AM

My mashed potatoes have a dash of "Better Than Boullion" Chicken Stock Paste and a bit of garlic puree along with the milk and butter. People rave over them.

I always add some bread and butter pickle juice to the mayo before adding it to the potatoes for potato salad. (Along with the rest of the regular ingredients.)

Watson.