Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Kits vs Stash >

Kits vs Stash

Kits vs Stash

Old 11-15-2020, 04:37 PM

I'm a little sick of the pre-cuts. IMO, using them makes every quilt look like a scrappy.
Old 11-16-2020, 02:42 PM

I am a fairly new quilter so don't have much of a stash. I also have discovered I really don't enjoy picking fabric for a specific pattern or design - it took me well over an hour at the LQS to pick out a fairly small number of fabrics for a pattern I loved and I found it stressful. I would have much rather purchased a kit! So, I tend to buy pre-cut fabrics (typically layer cakes or a fat quarter bundle) that I really like then look for a pattern to go with them or just buy a kit if I like both the design and the fabrics. I tend to buy what I need rather than buy a bunch of fabric without knowing what I'm going to do with it.
Old 11-16-2020, 03:07 PM

Le, when I started quilting I had no idea how to choose fab for a project. Quilters would talk about value, color, secondary primary...all Greek to me. Lady at a LQS choose fab for a quilt was making, had a pic, and she had a blast. She gave me sound advice...look for dark, med and lights and you'll eventually find out what you like. I would buy kits too to help me to learn "color." Advice...at a quilt store, they will help you. They have more experience than you and me and that's why they work there. Enjoy the hobby. A lot of us use the excuse that quilting is our therapy. It was for me for a while. I still use it as an excuse be I really love quilting. Enjoy the learning curve. Sometimes it is a gentle curve and hopefully you won't fall off a cliff!.
Old 11-17-2020, 04:18 PM

It is your choice on how you quilt. Me, sometimes I am inspired by a fabric, other times by a pattern. I have bought kits and made them and I have some waiting for me.

I will buy a kit when I love the fabrics used and it would cost me far more money to buy small pieces of many fabrics or it is just so well coordinated. I bought a fantastic kit to make a quilt using a panel for my grandson. It has such generous cuts of each fabric, that I will have enough to make him a pillow too.

This year money is especially tight and I an thankful for my stash.
Old 11-18-2020, 08:14 AM

I make my own kits so my stash mostly is kits. Less headaches this way