Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Floor Lamp >

Sewing Floor Lamp

Sewing Floor Lamp

Old 11-20-2020, 11:23 AM

Default Sewing Floor Lamp

Can anyone recommend a floor lamp (preferably an OttLite) that would give me better light while sewing on my sewing machine. I have several lamps I put on the sewing table, but they don’t help that much , especially at night. Thank you a head of time for any advice!!!
Old 11-20-2020, 02:51 PM
Power Poster

Have you considered the LED lights that attach to your machine? I got some on Amazon and they're fantastic!
Old 11-20-2020, 02:58 PM

I have the big Ott lite with magnifier, pattern clip and lite. I got mine at Joanns fabric. I love it. I use it over my cutting table. If you use a 50% off coupon it’s much cheaper. If on sale and you can find a 20% off that can be combined with sale prices, then this is cheaper.

Old 11-20-2020, 04:05 PM

I recommend Stella lights. The light is so nice! I have a table lamp I got a few years ago that I love and a clamp on that I got this year for my birthday to replace the old Ott Lite I had there. There are different settingz and I find the light to be much better than Ott Lites. I plan to replace all my Ott Lites as they die on me with Stella lights. They pricier than Ott Lites but so worth it! And no bulbs to replace

Susie, I want to try those LEDs that attach to your machine. My Bernina and my Juki could both use from better light on the bed.
Old 11-20-2020, 07:28 PM

There is also a Slim Line light. Bonnie Hunter & Jo Kramer both have 1and really like them. I purchased but need to do some
rearranging & thin out to set it up. This company has the floor lamp & a clamp on.
Old 11-20-2020, 09:08 PM

I have the same floor lamp that Clmay has and I have been happy with that. I got mine at Joann's long ago.I have a south window in the sewing room and that also helps in Arizona.
Old 11-21-2020, 04:29 AM

I just purchased the Slimline 3 light from Amazon, it is made by the Daylight company. It was expensive but worth every penny. I've tried Ott Lights, the LED lights that stick on the machine. None of them worked for me. I wish I hadn't wasted so much money on lights that didn't work out.
Old 11-21-2020, 05:16 AM

I am really interested in this subject because I have to stop sewing in the late afternoon due to not being able to see well. Anxious to see what all of you use for light.
Old 11-21-2020, 06:10 AM

The Ottlite's claim to fame is color correctness. If I'm sewing on a quilt, I don't need to see color correctly. I've already made those decisions. I need light! I generally sew in front of a window, so in the daytime, with added lights, I can see fine. At night, I need more light.

I have the Ottlite floor lamp. I will not replace it when it dies. It's not that bright. I still use it. I add another floor lamp that I have added to the mix. It's still not enough to be able to sew at night comfortably.

My cousin has several of the Ottlite table top lamps that she uses at night. She says her "sewing salon" is lighted like a runway at night.

bkay
Old 11-21-2020, 06:43 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
I recommend Stella lights. The light is so nice! I have a table lamp I got a few years ago that I love and a clamp on that I got this year for my birthday to replace the old Ott Lite I had there. There are different settingz and I find the light to be much better than Ott Lites. I plan to replace all my Ott Lites as they die on me with Stella lights. They pricier than Ott Lites but so worth it! And no bulbs to replace

Susie, I want to try those LEDs that attach to your machine. My Bernina and my Juki could both use from better light on the bed.
Patrice- I got mine on Amazon 2 years ago. They are really nice. I looked for you but didn't see the exact ones I bought but there are others that sound just like them. My Juki had terrible lighting but is a great machine. Wow, does it light up now!