Antique Textiles

Old 11-24-2020, 11:38 AM

Default Antique Textiles

My sister, who lives in a home owned by her deceased in-laws, recently discovered quite a few older pieces of clothing. The heirloom techniques and laces are really quite extraordinary. My question to you, what can be done with these pieces? I know that if they were mine, I wound use them in a fashion similar to what Cindy Needham would do, use them to make beautiful little wall hangings with lots of free motion quilting.
Is their possibly a museum that would be interested?
What do you think? Any input would be appreciated.
Old 11-24-2020, 12:15 PM

There are so many beautiful things out there. Certainly check with local museums, especially if you can match anything with local history/pictures in the paper/whatever. Provenance can make the difference, but in general the availability of such things is large and the demand is small.

I'll try to find some of the websites I used to visit when I was collecting vintage fabrics, my market was always more for the conservators of fabric rather than the home sewer who just wanted a fat quarter but I was mostly active in that about 20 years ago and most of my old links are no longer valid.