Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stuff you Use for Quilting, that isn't originally for Quilting!!! >

Stuff you Use for Quilting, that isn't originally for Quilting!!!

Stuff you Use for Quilting, that isn't originally for Quilting!!!

Old 07-12-2018, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
Sydneybean, if you just scroll up a few posts in this thread, you will see where I answered your question. I think I described it in even more detail earlier in the thread if you want to go back that far.
Sorry about that. When I asked this question it was right after Kelsie's. I swear these other comments weren't there! LOL I even hesitated to ask because Kelsie's was the only post since last year.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:50 PM

Thick glass flower pot (6” across) with attached saucer (heavy weighted) holds scissors and rotary cutters with no chance of tipping.

Old lingerie chest holds many supplies like plastic bags.

I had no use for a bag of elastic but kept it anyway. Now I make elastic bands of any & all sizes for paperwork, etc.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:14 PM
Power Poster

I purchased a cast iron napkin holder from Amazon that I use to hold the rulers I am currently using. Works best for short rulers in odd shapes. The weight keeps it from tipping over.
Old 07-13-2018, 05:05 AM

I also use chopsticks for turning out corners!
Old 11-23-2020, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by catmcclure View Post
I converted a wooden papertowel holder for large spools of thread. I drilled small holes in the base and put in two more dowels and put some eyelet lag screws in the top for thread guides. It can hold 3 large thread cones.
Brilliant!
Old 11-24-2020, 02:43 AM

I use a wooden knife holder for my rulers...from walmart. It is long in the shape of a rectangle and has long horizontal slits...perfect to hold my quilting rulers
Old 11-24-2020, 07:57 AM

I have kitchen Cabinets in my Sewing studio for storage of my fabrics. The other thing is a bathroom that lets me die fabrics as well as for general use so I can leave my sewing quickly if necessary.
I also have a metal rolling shop cart for fabrics and patterns. This is a cart usually used in a garage setting.
Old 11-24-2020, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by patches6032 View Post
I am going to used my compressed air for my computer for cleaning my ssewing machine.
Please don't do that. A sewing machine repair person said compressed air can hurt your machine. It can be forceful enough to push lint further into the machine making it that much harder to get out. The repair person said to use a small brush or a vacuum attachment instead.
Old 11-24-2020, 04:18 PM

There was a wooden partitioned drawer in our basement. Cleaned and painted it, mod-podged some fabric on the inside, screwed in hooks on the outside and hung it on the wall above my cutting area. It holds cutting notions - the hooks are for scissors, rotary cutters as well as some fabric 'cups' I made to hold hemming clips. The partition 'shelves' hold my ruler suction cups and other various odds and ends.

Pants hangar that holds multiple pairs of pants hold my spools of ribbon. I know, I know, not for quilting but the info could be useful for a quilter.

Bought two 5 shelf kitchen racks on wheels. Hung pants hangars with clips off the back of one rack to hold extra cutting mats and rulers. Found an old wooden spice holder at a garage sale, stained it and it lies on a shelf holding my ironing supplies. These kitchen racks have things hanging off of them on both sides and the back to keep things off the floor.

Made a bunch of matching fabric bins with drawstring tops to hold all of my fabric (the drawstring tops are in different colors so I know which bin holds which fabrics) - they sit on a kitchen rack. Using the same fabric made a bunch of hanging bags to hold more stuff that are hung on a kitchen rack.

Got some black plastic produce bins from work (they were being thrown out), cleaned them and use them for storage, again on the kitchen racks.

I can wheel the kitchen racks any place I need them to be and it's so easy to move to clean behind and beneath them. They've quadrupled the space in my teeny-tiny sewing room.

Took the legs off my old broken ironing board and covered it with batting and fabric as though it were still going to be used as an ironing board. Pushed hooks all the way through that fabric and batting and through the ironing board holes too so it's a 'pegboard' of sorts and hung it on one end of one of the kitchen racks.There's a lot of different things hanging off those hooks.

Old 11-24-2020, 07:47 PM
Power Poster

Thank you for all the new input, Folks!
It's always good to get more ideas to put into action.
Especially these alternate uses!!