Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Seeking advice on an uncovered UFO >

Seeking advice on an uncovered UFO

Seeking advice on an uncovered UFO

Old 03-02-2010, 03:44 PM

Laugh at your mistakes, be thankful for the distance you've come, finish it up, be proud of it and use it. It can always serve as your ruler. You can measure how far you've progressed in your quilting. I finally set my first efforts together the other day and had to cut off all the bunny ear tabs, threads, etc. As I sewed it together I thought, "Man this is horrible. How could I have ever put these blocks together like this. Look at these HUGE 1/4" seams.(they were much closer to 3/8)" It didn't help that it was that really ugly BOM from Hancocks with the big appliqued basket block. But the funny thing was that once I got it together and laid it on a bed to photograph, it doesn't look half bad. Not nearly as ugly as it used to be. Don't get me wrong, it's still an ugly quilt but it just looks better than before.

And before you ask, I wanted to learn to quilt and it was the only thing that I knew of that was being offered at the time so I did it. :roll:
Old 03-02-2010, 03:53 PM

finish it... use it... give it to your Women's Shelter.... the quilt does not know it isn't perfect... it only knows it is warm!
Old 03-02-2010, 05:01 PM

I say finish it and stop looking at the "mistakes." If it is your first quilt, it's a great way to look back and see how far you've come. My first quilt is far from perfect, but it hangs on the wall in my sewing room and I'm very proud of it.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:27 AM

I agree with the other replies I saw, go ahead and quilt it up but make a label with the approximate date you started it and when completed. The quilt in my avatar is THE VERY FIRST quilt I started. It was the ugliest thing on the planet so it sat in a cedar chest until our daughter got married and I needed it to store her wedding gown so took it out, took it apart and reconstructed it but in the beginning it was embroidered blocks alternating with plain white blocks so it was an easy one to redesign. With yours however, I would just leave it as is, sandwich, quilt it and be proud of all that you've learned from doing it and that's huge. It's a quilt that can be used to snuggle in on cold days. One quilt that I was not happy with turned out to be my granddaughter's favorite quilt to use when she visits Grammy. She just turned 17 yesterday and even last summer when they were here for their annual visit she again came to me and asked if she could use that quilt while she was here (it was in my bedroom where I put it over me to read while lying on the bed) and told me it's her favorite of all of my quilts. What a surprise that was. Her Mom has told me the same thing and it's one I almost didn't bother to finish. It's a patchwork biscuit quilt. Finish, enjoy, and be proud of it.

Originally Posted by 978gray
Five or six years ago, I bought the Sunny Days Quilt Blocks from Joanns. At that point in my life - had been sewing for years and wanted to start quilting.

I dutifully made each block and then dutifully assembled using the setting kit. I knew nothing of squaring blocks, etc.

I put the top away, because some of the blocks did not line up, and I sewed past the points. The worst is off 1/4". Of course it is in the center section.

So, am I being too critical of myself and should get over it and finish, or should I take apart and try to match up.

Below is the exmples of my "mistakes" where the blocks do not meet.

On the good side - I did learn a lot from making this quilt and it was the start of the quilts I now make.

Thanks for any advice!!
Old 03-03-2010, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by athenagwis
I wouldn't worry about it either!! This is your first quilt and you should be proud of it "mistakes" and all. Though I must say, I pretty much always have seams off and points chopped in all the quilts I do and I love them (even though they weren't on purpose)! They show me that I still have more to learn. The day I make a perfect quilt is the day I will stop quilting.

Cheers!
Rachel
I love this answer! :D
Old 03-03-2010, 08:59 AM

I have another idea to diffuse what you think are errors. Use a cotton ( shrinkable) batting which will after washing make a bit of a puffy crinkle effect. The slightly mis matched points wont even be noticable.
Love the colors.
Annette
Old 03-03-2010, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by kwhite
You would lose miserably if you were to enter this quilt in this contest. If you want perfection then buy commercial. These little "enhancements" make them ours. Love it for all of it's facets. They are reflections of ourselves. Not quite perfect but beautiful none the less.

http://www.amisimms.com/ofconen.html

THIS SITE IS AN EYE OPENER !!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-03-2010, 01:33 PM

If these problems will make you lose sleep at night, by all means rip them slightly and try to correct. We all need a good night's sleep! However, I agree with others that say they truly aren't that noticeable. You should congratulate yourself that you are finishing a UFO !!! :D

I do understand your need to be perfect, though.... its a tough thing to overcome. :D
Old 03-03-2010, 02:18 PM

Well the finish it votes have it, so off to get the batting...I already have the backing.

I bought a darning foot to do free motion (haven't tried that yet only been a SITD unitl now), so I've decided to try free motion on it (after I practice on scraps first of course), then it will truly be my first attempt at all sorts of quilting stuff!!

Look for finished pictures in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for all the word of support and encouragement :)

Susan
Old 03-03-2010, 02:25 PM

And I thought I was the only one too critical about the work oneself does. I think it looks just fine. Remember nothing is to be perfect unless it's made by our Creator.