Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Notions You Don't Like or Use >

Quilting Notions You Don't Like or Use

Quilting Notions You Don't Like or Use

Old 11-26-2020, 09:20 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
The Spider Ruler from Creative Grids that is supposed to make the Crazy Christmas Tree pattern and others. I have never been able to figure that thing out. I rarely buy specialty rulers and this just showed me why once again.

Watson
There several very good video how to use this ruler on youtube. Before I buy a speciality ruler I always watch a video how it's used first.
Old 11-26-2020, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
The June Tailor shape cut ruler? mat? The plastic thingy with slots for your rotary cutter. My friend thinks it is the best thing since sliced bread. I'm glad I bought mine on sale because I have used it twice. The first time I miss cut so many strips that I had to change the pattern. The second time I guess I got too much speed going because I almost slit thru the plastic edge. I usually use a ruler and a piece of masking tape (and a role of masking tape costs a whole pile less than that June Tailor thingy)
I used mine when I first started making quilts but after awhile I felt like I somehow was less accurate using it and put it away.
Old 11-26-2020, 10:57 AM

The Flynn Frame for quilting your quilts on a domestic machine. I used it once, but found it much easier to just "puddle" my quilts when quilting on my domestic.

Rob
Old 11-26-2020, 12:07 PM

I bought this tool, it was a glider to glide your quilt through your DSM when quilting. A big waste it was. I could never get it to move along as advertised. Another thing I bought was a Flynn Frame another useless item and a costly one at that.

Last edited by juliasb; 11-26-2020 at 12:10 PM.
Old 11-26-2020, 01:37 PM
Power Poster

I loved the John Flynn frame and used it to quilt many large crib quilts. I kept trying and one day it was oh this is how it's done and it was smooth as silk afterwards. I think most get frustrated after a couple times tying to use it and give up. I wouldn't use it for a big quilt but for smaller donation quilts it's great.
Old 11-26-2020, 04:10 PM

I've had to look up almost all the devices mentioned. (I'm new to quilting) some of the rulers look like they could be handy to have around. I hesitate to purchase any specialty ruler, concerned i might not use it and it would all be a waste of money. I think as i gain more experience i might be more interested in some of the specialty rulers but for now, I should probably stick to learning how to cut things using a standard ruler first. Do y'all think that is prudent? What was it that drew you to purchase some of these rulers? Just curious.

That said, several years ago, at a sewing and quilting expo, I purchased a Creative Grids slotted ruler. I really like it. So far. 0 all I've used it for us strips but it does do that very well. Haha
Old 11-26-2020, 04:16 PM
Power Poster

Right off the top of my head I can't come up with anything but what bugs me is forgetting what I have. Then again I'm also not the most organized person in the world.
Old 11-26-2020, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
Right off the top of my head I can't come up with anything but what bugs me is forgetting what I have. Then again I'm also not the most organized person in the world.
​​​i can relate! I forget what the heck i have all the tme. It's the main reason I like see-through containers or having things visible in some form or fashion. I do try to stay organized, but it gets complicated some times with space issues, etc.

​​​
Old 11-26-2020, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by beckyboo1 View Post
I used mine when I first started making quilts but after awhile I felt like I somehow was less accurate using it and put it away.
Hi beckyboo. What was it you stopped using? The June Tailor thing or the slotted ruler?
Old 11-26-2020, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by illinois View Post
I had almost forgotten the craze over the twister until just recently when I wanted something quick for a Christmas wall hanging for my granddaughter's new, very tiny apartment. I used the twister for a Christmas wreath. It's been awhile!! But here's the reminder to NOT mix up those pieces. The secret behind twister it to keep them in order. Twister makes a great wreath!
I watched a video on the twisted ruler
​​It looked like it could be handy. I saw a wreath using it and it was very cute. Do you have a pic of yours?