Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
What size boards is best? >

What size boards is best?

What size boards is best?

Old 11-29-2020, 12:10 PM

Default What size boards is best?

I am ordering some comic book boards and what is the 7 " x 10 1/2 " used for mare than the 8 1/2 x 11" I use a Ikea cabinet and the fabric is folded and stacked on top of each other and I make a big mess of things finding what I need. Which one is used most and for what ? yardage or FQ's ? Thanks, I have them both in the cart on amazon and will wait until tomorrow to order.
Old 11-29-2020, 02:17 PM

Check and measure the inside depth of you cabinet. Consider that fabric wrapped around the board will add to the amount of space you need.

Check the height between shelves too.

For yardage, I like the plastic boards that are 11.75 inches tall. There is a small amount left above the fabric after folding yardage to wrap.

Fat quarters are ruler folded using a 5 inch ruler. These are stacked upright into one of the plastic refrigerator bins. Fits perfectly and easy to see the colors.
Old 11-29-2020, 02:43 PM

My cabinet is 24 inches deep and I have 3 shelves in each cabinet and two are 12 inches high and 1 is 8 and 1/2 high. Should I just get the 11 by 8 1/2 boards? Is there plastic boards for comic books and Can I find them on Amazon. I don't want to get the 7 x 10 and 1/2 if I cannot use for fat Qtrs. What do you think?
Old 11-29-2020, 02:53 PM

I have the big boards and fabric is wrapped around n stood up like a book easy to see colors prints etc put like colors together batiks one area Kona cotton in another n possibly regular quilting fabric in another I also made up a bunch of kits do that I’m not always cutting this way I can just pull out the tub n get started sewing I stash the picture of the quilt inside the tub to see from the outside
Old 11-29-2020, 03:32 PM

I use the comic book boards normal size of the 8 by 12 or whatever it is not much difference if you're using a yard of more fabric get bigger for sure. Fat quarters i just fold and stash nicely with no boards.
Old 11-29-2020, 04:16 PM
Power Poster

I like my boards to be 11 inches long since yardage folded twice and then rolled around the board just fits.
Old 11-29-2020, 07:57 PM

Thanks for the help.
Old 11-30-2020, 05:05 PM
Power Poster

I also bought the bigger boards, because folded yardage fits nicely on them. I like these plastic storage cubes from Walmart for FQs. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite...Black/17126915
Old 11-30-2020, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I like these plastic storage cubes from Walmart for FQs. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite...Black/17126915
I Love these bins for my doll patterns (or any pattern). They sit upright when I place them across the sides with the handles I can get between 15 and 30 -- depending on the thickness of the pattern envelopes. I bought 4 white ones as they go with the room colors better. I'm hoping they will get some blue for little boy patterns and some red for the girls Would also be nice to have some green for my flower embroidery patterns.

I had a few quilt patterns given to me and each pattern was in a manila envelope that will fit in one of these as well.
Old 12-04-2020, 11:10 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Motley View Post
I Love these bins for my doll patterns (or any pattern). They sit upright when I place them across the sides with the handles I can get between 15 and 30 -- depending on the thickness of the pattern envelopes. I bought 4 white ones as they go with the room colors better. I'm hoping they will get some blue for little boy patterns and some red for the girls Would also be nice to have some green for my flower embroidery patterns.

I had a few quilt patterns given to me and each pattern was in a manila envelope that will fit in one of these as well.
I used to be able to find them in white at Walmart, and sometimes in various bright colors, in the department with other storage items. But for the past few years all I can find there are the black ones, and they're in the office supplies department. I guess color doesn't matter, but given a choice I would rather look at something other than black.