Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter 2020/2021 Winter Mystery: Grassy Creek >

Bonnie Hunter 2020/2021 Winter Mystery: Grassy Creek

Bonnie Hunter 2020/2021 Winter Mystery: Grassy Creek

Old 11-29-2020, 05:42 AM

This clue screams to use the 8 at a time method to me also. I just don't get the bias strips. Of course, I always make large and trim down. Maybe that is the difference.
Old 11-29-2020, 10:45 AM

I've wasted my leader/ender opportunities this whole year, using a piece of old binding because I just didn't take the time to prepare another project, so am very glad to be finally having a purposeful leader/ender project going in the mystery. I have my clue 1 HSTs ready for sewing, and now I'm working on getting units cut and pinned for the project I'm prepping. Here are a couple of my first gray/gold mystery combo, plus some units and a block for the other project.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5754_Fotor.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	520.0 KB
ID:	629906  
Old 11-29-2020, 11:53 AM

Finished with Week 1, the half arsed version. Decided to to take the number of units for the full quilt, if odd round up, divided by 2, if even round up again! For my colors, my grey is blue ("grey skies make me feel blue") and my gold is butter ("gold buys huns and butter"). My other color substitutions are much more dramatic.

Half square triangles as the first unit really keeps this mysterious.

As early as 1704, the Royal Academy of Sciences in Paris published a paper based on the work of a French Monk previewing the infinite number of design possibilities when using squares which are half light and half dark. A quilter named Jane Warnick created an "Element Key" based on this initial study showing the 256 possibilities for 4 half square triangles arranged in a square. Warnick's Element Key was published by Barbara Johannah in 1987.*

*from, Quilter's Academy Vol. 3, by Harriet & Carrie Hargrave, pp 42-43 (Kindle edition, 2011)

Name:	GrassyCreekWeek1half.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	839.7 KB
ID:	629907  
Old 11-29-2020, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Teen View Post
I am only doing, roughly, half the units for a smaller size quilt. Likely have to make more units later once layout revealed but, for now, I completed this clue..
Love your colors/ Very pretty!
Old 11-29-2020, 03:50 PM

I’m on Team Purple....
First mystery. I’m hoping these substitutions work out LOL

Name:	5CE94DFB-E3B3-48ED-9069-67202BFDC35F.jpeg
Views:	150
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	629914  
Old 11-29-2020, 03:57 PM

Hello, you will be fine with this challenge bonnie is really fun i did one of hers years ago. Start with the pieces you're not attached to and just have fun and relax. I have pieces I am still attached to this day lol hanging around but then a project popped up in my head perfect for them years later. As for the gifting I would just take your time once you get the hang of the quilting and sewing process and take it easy on yourself. Some of my quilts were given a year after their intended date roflmao because I finished the top or got side tracked with life or other projects. As for organizing I use clear storage bins from amazon for very cheap for my currenet projects and everything from one project top goes into one box fabric wise and patterns and directions only.
Old 11-29-2020, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Leahquilts View Post
Love your colors/ Very pretty!
Thank you!!
Old 11-30-2020, 06:24 AM

I'm afraid this is a really stupid question, but here it is! Can you make half square triangles eight at a time like Bonnie shows, but without using that specialty ruler? I have an easy angle, companion angle and all kinds of square and rectangular rulers and would like to not buy more. But I'd like to use the eight at a time technique. If anyone could walk me through this I'd really appreciate it. Or, should I break down and get one of the rulers she suggests? Thanks!
Old 11-30-2020, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by wishfulthinking View Post
I'm afraid this is a really stupid question, but here it is! Can you make half square triangles eight at a time like Bonnie shows, but without using that specialty ruler? I have an easy angle, companion angle and all kinds of square and rectangular rulers and would like to not buy more. But I'd like to use the eight at a time technique. If anyone could walk me through this I'd really appreciate it. Or, should I break down and get one of the rulers she suggests? Thanks!
The method shown is for making half square triangles from bias strips; Bonnie just gives the measurements to make 8 of the required size units and has you cut them before pressing open the seam. Any square ruler with a 45 degree line can be used for the last step of cutting the units from the sewn bias strips.

Just make sure your are using the correct measurement. I think the Simple Folded Corners ruler uses a finished size measurement. With most square rulers, you need to used the measurement for the unfinished size. You can place tape on your ruler for the correct measurement to avoid confusion.

Good luck and enjoy.
Old 11-30-2020, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by wishfulthinking View Post
I like her rulers, I do have them but I think the 8 at a time is better for this unless you already have the strips cut. Check out the Magic 8 half square triangle method. Out of respect for Bonnie who doesn't want numbers listed, you can find the square size you need easily online. I would think they have videos online also so you can watch how it's done.