Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter 2020/2021 Winter Mystery: Grassy Creek >

Bonnie Hunter 2020/2021 Winter Mystery: Grassy Creek

Bonnie Hunter 2020/2021 Winter Mystery: Grassy Creek

Old 12-03-2020, 09:32 PM

So glad you are jumping in, sewingsuz!

This is a link to Bonnie's intro to the mystery. She explains her color inspiration. You have to scroll through several scenic photos, a photo of the paint chips, a photo of the 3-in-1 color tool, and then come the photos of Bonnie's fabrics. It's easy to miss the yardage amounts, as they are very inconspicuously typed below the fabric photos.

https://quiltville.blogspot.com/2020...e-mystery.html
Old 12-04-2020, 06:18 AM

Sewingsuz, it seems sort of strange that we don't just come out and tell you what you need, but Bonnie requests that while we should feel free to post our pictures and process, that we don't talk numbers. Not counts or sizes or just numbers in general.

Where it shows the pictures of the fabrics in her cabinets, it says what she is calling the color and the yardage required.

Last year I didn't print out the clues, this year I am. I keep a notebook for my quilting and have a Front Page where I am writing down the specific stuff I want to know, then I 3-hole punch the clue and put it in the notebook. I highlight/underline/circle important things on the print out. Last year I just kept my own notes which were fine during the project but as it is, I completed a second one and could have used them.

So far I've written down the yardage amounts and the color groups, and now for Clue one the actual number of sets of units I'm making and what size.

Today's clue has been published so I'm officially late with Week 1 but as she says it's not a race and as I say, the only real deadlines I have I've imposed on my self.

I really like her colors and am reconsidering my greens but what the heck, they work in theory... I actually feel it rather freeing to just let go and blame her/the mystery aspect if my choices don't work out

As I work with my colors, my Gold is really Butterscotch more than yellow, and I think some of my fabrics would be quite happy as orange for the rest of you.

https://quiltville.blogspot.com/2020...-part-two.html
Old 12-04-2020, 06:47 AM

Thanks for posting the link, Iceblossom!

Looks like it's the moment of truth for deciding on neutral. (I probably have enough green and gold to do both black and light, hmmm.)

I didn't really love my golds with my greens when pulling fabric, LOL.
Old 12-04-2020, 06:51 AM
Power Poster

Today I'm going to get with the program and pick out my fabrics.
Please hold me to this!!!
Old 12-04-2020, 07:18 AM

oh....well I did not finish all my stitching yesterday on clue one...half done with that...and no pressing....and I just saw clue 2....don't know if I have the dies for that block yet. I live in a 1 1/2 story house and keep most of my dies up in the attic. Trouble is I use the stairs as an extra pantry....well...I mean...the only pantry. This house was built in the 1940's. seems folks did not have much of a need for pantry's and closets in those days.....The house did have a flour and sugar bin in the kitchen which I took out to put in a dishwasher and there is a "fruit room" in the basement. There used to a coal bin in the basement too. any way, I am rambling....yippee! I just mountain climbed my way to the attic and it looks like I have the die! I do have Bonnie's triangle ruler and the folded corner's one....but I can't find the triangle one at the moment. sigh....I need a house organizer. Anyway...now I am good to go.
Old 12-04-2020, 09:26 AM

I paired up all of my greens and golds, and I think I'm going to have some weird looking QSTs. I would not have put these golds and greens together myself (but that is part of the fun of the mystery). I don't think I'll be doing any cutting today, as my back feels iffy.
Old 12-04-2020, 10:25 AM

Speaking of backs, I'm all crunkled but I'm taking a coffee break and posting a process picture of my representative HST.

All have been paired up, most have been sewn, some have been trimmed. I did cut large this round as I was not feeling confident about changing my usual open seams and side seams, but it is working just fine even pressing to the side.

I did want to take a moment to get some feedback on the side seams/quilting the way most of you have been taught. Part of the way I quilt is with "modern" strip piecing techniques where I'm periodically cutting through stitches and then typically I open press my seams and so I use some pretty tiny stitches. My Bernina defaults to "2.5", I think most people bring it down to 2-2.25, but with my thread combination I'm using (Aurifil on top/So Fine on bottom), I'm happy around 1.85 (I use a size 10 needle as well).

With my vision issues, I'm thinking I'm going to have a terrible time taking out a stitch or two to swirl 4-patch seams or stuff like that -- do you think I should go up to 2?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5929.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	630058  
Old 12-04-2020, 12:49 PM

Default Clue 1

Even with my late start, I managed to finish up clue 1 last night. I had enough Golds and Grays in my fabric pull, that I was able to use all unique fabrics in step 1.

As for my hand dyed version, after seeing Clue 2, I'm regretting my choice to dye my neutral a powder pink- I feel like it just won't stand up against the pale pink I used for my gold. I may have to sub in some plain white Kona.

Name:	IMG_20201204_153054_720.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	346.0 KB
ID:	630061   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201204_153203_695.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	838.5 KB
ID:	630063  
Old 12-04-2020, 01:42 PM

Great-looking HSTs, Quiltylikeafox and Iceblossom! I kind of like that pink at this point, Quilty.

Iceblossom, I think going up to 2 makes sense. I have stuck with my machine default, and I don't have to pick stitches in order to spin.
Old 12-04-2020, 02:09 PM

Don't know why I didn't think to look here before. Should have know there'd be more gals to sew along with than just the FB page. I'm going with an ocean color pallette for myself in our "new-to-us" forever beach house on the southern Oregon Coast we moved into last year. Pretty happy with the colors I decided on - most from my stash (only HAD to buy some more grays and tans). We're off and running. Glad to have found you all. It's much more fun sewing along with a group...

Name:	1st round of color choice from stash web ready.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	171.6 KB
ID:	630064   Click image for larger version

Name:	a few pulls later web ready.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	223.5 KB
ID:	630065   Click image for larger version

Name:	Step 1 web ready.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	217.7 KB