Singer motor grease wicks

Old 12-07-2020, 01:54 PM

Default Singer motor grease wicks

I’ve been looking for a definite answer , with no luck , about how to grease a BZ15-8 motor . I’ve often ran across older style singer motors that seem to have grease wicks that take up the entire grease wick tube leaving no room to put grease in . I’ve tried cutting the wicks short as to leave some room for the grease but don’t feel that is the best option. I’ve had SM mechanic for the local sewing center tell me to leave the original size wick in and apply a few drops of oil occasionally but I have never read in any manuals that oil should be used in a motor . Vintage Singer manuals always make it clear to use only grease . Just what is the best way to make sure these motors are properly lubricated ?
Old 12-07-2020, 01:59 PM

My wicks don't take up the whole tube. They just fit into the little metal sleeve, which leaves about a 1/2 inch for grease.. Use vaseline for grease. I'm no expert, but that's what is usually recommended by the folks on this site and on VSS.

bkay

Edit: I assume you are talking about 15-91s and 201-2s. If not, disregard my comment.
Old 12-07-2020, 02:08 PM

No , my 15-91 s and my 201 s have potted motors . Those grease ports are large , I could fit half a tube in there . My problem is in the smaller belt driven motors with the little silver tubes on both sides , in particular right now a BZ 15-8 motor .